Daily Word

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by grizcty, Jul 1, 2020 at 12:46 AM.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Destroyed or Restored?

“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”
    —John 10:10

Some time ago I was at Disneyland with two of my grandchildren, and I discovered something: All varieties of roller coaster rides now nauseate me.

In 1977 I was on the inaugural ride of Space Mountain. I remember thinking, “This isn’t even scary at all.”

But this time, I was thinking, “When can I get off this ride?” It actually made me sick to my stomach.

Then we went on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and that nauseated me too. Everything nauseated me except the corn dog I had. That was the highlight of the day, no question about it.

That’s how sin can be. What used to be fun now makes us sick. Maybe we used to do things that were fun at first. Then they were not as fun. And then they were a little bit miserable. Ultimately, they became completely depressing, and we can’t believe that we wasted our lives doing those things.

The Bible talks about the pleasures of sin for a season. For instance, Hebrews tells us, “It was by faith that Moses, when he grew up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to share the oppression of God’s people instead of enjoying the fleeting pleasures of sin” (11:24–25 NLT).

For Moses, it basically came down to the simple recognition that the worst God had to offer was better than the best the world had to offer.

People will let you down. Circumstances will let you down. But Jesus never will let you down. He said, “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10 NKJV).

You have a choice: Death or life. Be destroyed or be restored. It’s really up to you.
    Pastor Greg

2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

grizcty: Jesus explains

John 10:
    7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. 10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

11I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. 12But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. 13The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. 14I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine. 15As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. 17Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. 18No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

3. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    The Battle of Christianity

Romans 7:15-25 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

Remember back before you were a Christian? You could enjoy sin and the things of the world without giving it a second thought. But once you placed your trust in Christ, something changed. Somehow the sin of the world no longer seemed to be as much fun. Your desires began to change. You had a new influence abiding within you; the Holy Spirit of God.

I can think of a time in my life, after I became a Christian that I chose to walk away from the things of God. What a mistake that was. It was my experience that you cannot abandon Christianity once you have truly been saved. Things became so miserable for me that i began to pray that God would leave me alone and just let me live my life. I wanted to be in control, not Him. However, that's not the way it works. Once you are adopted into His family you can't just walk away. He will come after you and, one way or the other, He will bring you back into the sheepfold.

Notice the struggle that went on in Paul's life. He had a strong inner desire to do the will of God but it was a constant battle with the old flesh nature. With his heart and mind he followed after the Spirit of God, but his flesh still yearned for the old life. So we are not alone. That, my friend is one of the greatest comforts that I can imagine. What? How can I find it a comfort to go through life fighting just such a war within myself?

Well, I find comfort in the fact that there is an inner influence that makes me miserable in sin. If I could enjoy sin without consequence, that would tell me that I must not really be a Christian. Yet because there is a constant battle between the old flesh nature and the new Spiritual nature, I can rejoice in knowing that God is dwelling inside of me and that I am truly one of His.

We need to thank God for the battle of Christianity. It reveals to us when we're wrong and confirms when we are right and the longer we live our lives according to the Spirit of God we will find more and more joy in Him.

Romans 7:24-25 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!