Daily Word

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by grizcty, Aug 2, 2020 at 2:32 AM.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Keeping Company with Jesus

God longs for real conversation with us, as indicated in an oft-misunderstood Bible verse.

I think Jesus may sometimes get lonely. Not just during His earthly life but even today. I think He gets lonely for us. I think that reality is implicit in an oft-misunderstood verse of the Bible, one most churchgoers have heard many times. But we may never have heard it the way Jesus intends us to hear it. It’s from the last book of the Bible. I believe these are the words of Jesus to me and you: “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me” (Revelation 3:20, NIV).

For years, many of us have made that verse into a nice little verse about opening your heart to Jesus and becoming “born again.” And I don’t want to burst anyone’s bubble, but I must tell you: that’s not what the verse is about.

Revelation 3:20 is a portion of a letter which the risen Jesus dictated and which John, His disciple, relayed to a church in a town called Laodicea. It was not written to skeptics and seekers. It was not written to people attending an evangelistic service or responding to an altar call. It was written specifically to church folk who were being urged to repent and turn from their lukewarm ways.

And Jesus said, in effect, “Hey, open up. I want to come in. I want to eat with you. I want to keep company with you.”

That is what Zacchaeus heard and understood when Jesus said, “Dude, come out of that tree. I want to come to your house. I want to eat with you. I would like to keep company with Zacchaeus the tax-collector.” The religious snobs of the day got so upset with Jesus because He wasn’t just accepting a social invitation; He was saying, “I want to keep company with tax-collectors, lepers and prostitutes.”

And Jesus wants to keep company with you, too. That’s what prayer is. That’s what it should be, anyway. That’s what Jesus longs for, with you. He doesn’t frown on “God is great, God is good,” but He won’t be satisfied with that. He wants each of us to keep going, to move past “Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts” to the kind of conversation we enjoy when we lift our heads from prayer and turn to the person next to us and, smiling, say, “Hey, did you notice Sharla’s hairdo in church today?” Believe it or not, he actually wants in on that stuff. He takes just as much delight (or dismay) in Sharla’s hairdo as anyone does. And I wonder how many times we break His heart at the dinner table when we say “Amen” and then proceed to elbow Him aside in order to enjoy true fellowship. . . with everyone but Him.

Philip Yancey, in his book titled simply Prayer, writes:

I am writing away from home, sequestered in the mountains in the middle of winter. At the end of each day I talk with my wife, Janet, about the events of the day. I tell her how many words I wrote and what obstacles I met in the process, what Nordic ski or snowshoe trails I explored . . . which prepackaged frozen foods I ate for dinner. She tells me about the progress of her nagging cold, the mail that has been accumulating in my absence, the neighbors she has encountered walking their dogs to the mailboxes down the road. We discuss the weather, current events, news from relatives, upcoming social engagements. In essence, we meditate on the day with each other, in the process bringing the details into a new light.

Then, he says, “What I have just described bears a striking resemblance to prayer, too. Prayer, according to one ancient definition, is ‘keeping company with God.’”

I believe that is what God wants from each one of us. And for each one of us. He wants us to quit saying our prayers, if that’s all we’re doing, and instead keep company with Him. Every day. Throughout the day. When we’re alone and when we’re with others.

(Adapted from Quit Going to Church by Bob Hostetler, Leafwood Publishers, 2012.)

neophyte, PAPA G, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.
  2. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    Griz,
    That was a great post. Hit the nail right on the head!

grizcty, Huey Rider and neophyte like this.

3. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    Fellowship

1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— 2 the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us— 3 that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

John is writing this letter from a very unique perspective. He was one of the 12 original disciples and was often called the disciple that Jesus loved. He had a close personal relationship with Christ and spent a great deal of time with him in sweet fellowship.

Now he is sharing that with us so we can have the same kind of personal fellowship with Jesus that he and the other disciples enjoyed. He wants us to have fellowship with him and he proclaims that his fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. Only when we have that kind of fellowship with one another and with the Lord can our joy be complete.

So what does it mean to have fellowship with someone? The word "fellowship" comes from the Greek word koinōnia which means partnership, i.e. (literally) participation, or (social) intercourse, (to) communicate(-ation), or to have communion. In other words, when we enter into fellowship with someone, we open our lives up to them and allow them to participate in our lives.

To have fellowship with Christ, we need to give Him the authority to meddle in our affairs and we have the right to call out to Him and the Father at any given time. God desires to have that kind of relationship with us and He wants the lines of communication to be open at all times.

So many times, we recite a canned prayer and after the final amen we just go about out business without giving it another thought. However, the Holy Spirit is with us at all times and the Bible clearly tells us to pray without ceasing. Our formal prayers are simply the introduction to our prayer life and that should just be the beginning of a full day of communication with our Lord.

Every day with Jesus
    Is sweeter than the day before
    Every day with Jesus
    I love Him more and more.
    Jesus saves and keeps me
    And He's the one I'm waiting for
    Every day with Jesus
    Is sweeter than the day before

grizcty, Huey Rider and neophyte like this.