close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dan Wesson

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by DocAitch, Jul 23, 2013.

1. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Enthusiast

I have this Dan Wesson 357 which has been in the safe for 14years.
    With Gandog continuously flashing that picture of his DW, and a recent post showing new barrels and shrouds available, I have decided I need some more info on this firearm.
    I remember looking this up before and became confused when the reference referred to a Model 15 vs a Model 14. Also the guys who makes the new barrel and shroud refers to a small frame.
    Below are some pix. Any information or reference source would be helpful.
    The shroud says " Dan WESSON ARMS"
    " 357 MAGNUM CTG "
    AND THE FRAME SAYS "DAN WESSON ARMS"
    " MONSON,MASS,U.S.A."
    10035XX
    Below are the photos
    [​IMG]
    DocAitch

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Very nice...

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Revolver Models | The Dan Wesson Forum

^ See if that link might sort out the basic models and variations for you.

Myself, I know virtually nothing about them, except they feel good in the hand and shoot great from my limited experience.

4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

About the only difference between a model 14 and 15 is I'm pretty sure the Model 14 had fixed sights. I believe they still use the same barrels and shrouds as the model 15's (But don't quote me on that!)

5. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

Nice M15-2 you have, Doc. While M15-2 shrouds do fit the fixed sight M14-2, the front sight is way too tall. EWK makes a low profile front sight to adapt an M15-2 shroud to an M14. Dan Wessons were made in Monson, Norwich and Palmer. You have the preferred Monson model.
    The small frame Dan Wessons were made in .22LR/Mag, .32 H&R Mag and .32-20 Win, .38 Special and .357. Large frames came in .360 Dan Wesson, .41 and .44 Magnum, .45 Colt and .460 Rowland. The SuperMags, (a long-cylinder large frame), came in .357 Maximum, .375 SuperMag, .414 SuperMag and .445 SuperMag.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I put EKW fiber optic pipe front sights on all my 15-2H shrouds.

[​IMG]

7. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

I read somewhere that a Dan Wesson is the best revolver to take a suppressor. Apparently you can adjust the cylinder to a tight tolerance to the forcing cone.

8. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory

She sure is purty!

9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Would hate to thin the barrel end to take a suppressor, since the muzzle end is already threaded for the nut to hold the barrel in. Unless the suppressor has the same threads and can also act as the barrel nut. Have to shoot subsonic rounds to take full advantage.

10. DWFan

The Williams #70958 Firesight for the Ruger GP-100 fits the Dan Wesson and is a good match to the EWK front sight. The Ruger rear elevation spring #423309 is available from Midway for $2.49.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  11. DocAitch

DocAitch G&G Enthusiast

Thanks guys.
    I believe this is a 15 V and that the EKW barrels and shrouds will fit.
    I also ran across the term "pork chop" shroud- which I believe means that the shroud has the shorter under lug.
    I plan to purchase a 4" and a 2 1/2" barrel, will check out the Hi Viz type sight.
    Will post some pix.
    DocAitch

12. DWFan

You have an M15-2-6V. The full length underlug would be an HV. The "pork chop" shroud is for the older model Dan Wessons and looks like this. Obviously the front of the frame is different on these older versions as well and they won't fit your revolver.

Attached Files:

13. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Is that before he got married to Smith? lol

14. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Like DWFan said and some noted, the Monson made DW revolvers are more desirable than the later ones. Some very early ones had really ugly barrel nuts that did not disappear into the shroud. Some later ones lacked the glorious deep blue the Monson guns have.

I've seen ribbed and non ribbed shrouds, full and part length underlugs, and even vented shrouds on some of the big frame guns.

Not sure of the origin of my shorty (2 1/2") barrel/shroud. It fits well enough, but the barrel is simply marked .357 Magnum in sort of an italic script on the right side of the lug, nothing else on it. It has a low front sight, no rib to speak of. It just looks different from the others. Anyone have any ideas?

I keep trying to find a scruffy 6 or 8" shroud for cheap that I can justify drilling for a scope mount, but no luck so far. Found one at a show, but the guy wouldn't separate the scruffy looking barrel and shroud from the gun and other barrel, which both looked pretty good. And he wanted $600 for the lot, no haggling. Go figure.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  15. DWFan

A very short front sight that is pinned in place was used on the fixed sight models (M14). This is a shorty barrel/shroud for the M15-2....

Attached Files:

16. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Nope, no writing except ".357 Magnum" in italics on the right side of the lug. I need to correct things - very low solid rib, low sight with yellow insert. 2 1/2" barrel length.

17. Jay

Jay Old man, No tact... Staff Member Forum Contributor

Shawn_86,

Welcome to G&G, sir... but you can't sell on your first post. Forum rules dictate that you be here 30 days AND have 50 posts before you sell, and then, sales need to be in the Trading post.

Please consider stopping by the Introductions Forum, and telling us a bit about yourself. The time and post restraints will be met quickly, and we look forward to your input.

Jay :usa2:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted