Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rencently have boought a Danish M1 and the barrel was changed in January of 1960. Appears to be nice and all park has worn off. I paid $795. wondering how good the danish imports are. Comments appreciated thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
There just as good as all they did was change hands for awhile. There still U.S. rifles. If the muzzle is worn then it is no differnt then a U.S. Garand having a bad muzzle.

What told you it was a Danish other than a story or the papers?? Rick B

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
They are the same as USGI. It might even be a USGI gun with few Danish/Italian parts that were swapped in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dealer owner told me it was danish and it was from ODC if I am correct is CMP. The gentlemen who sold it to him had CMP papers stateing it was danish loan. What I was really wondering if the danish are collecters? I have always bought K31's and Mauser's and know a lot about them but am just starting to study the history of the M1 Garand.

·
Registered
224 Posts
"Danish" M1 Rifles

The so-called "Danish" M1 rifles were provided to Denmark in the years immediately following WWII. If I remember correctly, there were two "batches" in two different time frames. (Somebody help me out here: how many M1s were sent to Denmark?)

The rifles were provided under Military Assistance Program rules; they were, essentially, given to the Danes. (No, they were not sold, and they were not "Lend Lease.") One could view them as being on long-term loan. When the Danes were finished with 'em, they were returned to the U. S.

Many of the rifles have Italian-made small parts, and some have Danish-made "VAR" replacement barrels. Since most are really "mixmasters," their collector value is most likely low.

The rifles are, as several have pointed out, just as good as USGI M1s... 'cause that's what they are: USGI M1 rifles that visited with the Danes for awhile.
Ben Hartley

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Ben Hartley. Your post helped me see something. This rifle is all matching except for the Danish VAR barrel replaced in Jan of 1960. There is no Italian parts all is USGI. I never have been interested in the Danish M1's only H&R. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Many consider the VAR barrel to be of excellent quality. Some will pay a premium for a tight VAR barrel.

I have a Danish Garand. I conider it to be a legitimate variation in my collection.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,713 Posts
I too treasure my Danish Garand. I'm glad it found it's way back home. Yes, VAR barrels are a good find.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Danish M1

The Danish with a VAR barrel was an excellent shooter. The strange thing was that the throat erosion gage showed a 4-5 but no real visible erosion with a bore scope and excellent groups. That may have been a characteristic with those barrels as I saw it on a couple of others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts