Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Danish Stock Re-finish

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Devil Dog, Mar 23, 2002.

1. I have a Danish stock birch (I think). One handguard is walnut the other is too light to be walnut. I have to do something with this mess. The butt stock has these very light flecks that look almost like inlays. Will they stain ok or is there another solution?
    Gary :confused:
  2. I have about the same mixed parts on my CAI. I washed the wood parts with dish soap and hot water then sanded them with a 3M pad. After thourough drying, I put about 3 coats of 1/2 boiled linseed oil and 1/2 turpentine on the inside and about 5 coats on the outside. I sanded between coats with fine steel wool and hand rubed each coat. I was planning on replacing the stock but after I saw the way it came out, I was really happy with it. The little specks, you were talking about, really add something. The only other option I can think of would be to replace the stock.

3. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Here is a Beech stock I did in a new oil finsih I have that is great for heavy use. Rick B

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Here's another photo. I offer this finsih instead of the traditional oil finish. Rick B

5. Rick:
    Thanks for the inspiration. My stock has the same light specks as yours. They don't look bad on yours. I guess mine needs some "color". I guess I'll play with it and see what happens...It can't get any worse looking than it does now.
    Thanks for the pics,
  6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Rick,that stock turned out really nice. I have a beech too,didn't know it could look like that.
  7. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I use Fiebing's leather dye in Dark Brown. It has a heavy red color on some woods and Beech is one. The guards are Walnut and got them to match with same stain. Rick B
  8. Fiebing's...Where?

Where will I find Fiebing's?
  9. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I get it at a shoe repair place near home. Find any leather store. Rick B
  10. Fiebings leather dye

If you want 'red', get their 'Russet' color. Mix it with Dk Brown a bit at a time, maybe cut it with rubbing alcohol. Rub it in well. Turns out an 'un-natural' color but looks great.