Danish Stock Re-finish

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Devil Dog, Mar 23, 2002.

1. I have a Danish stock birch (I think). One handguard is walnut the other is too light to be walnut. I have to do something with this mess. The butt stock has these very light flecks that look almost like inlays. Will they stain ok or is there another solution?
    TIA,
    Gary :confused:

2. I have about the same mixed parts on my CAI. I washed the wood parts with dish soap and hot water then sanded them with a 3M pad. After thourough drying, I put about 3 coats of 1/2 boiled linseed oil and 1/2 turpentine on the inside and about 5 coats on the outside. I sanded between coats with fine steel wool and hand rubed each coat. I was planning on replacing the stock but after I saw the way it came out, I was really happy with it. The little specks, you were talking about, really add something. The only other option I can think of would be to replace the stock.

3. Stock Doc

Stock Doc Super Moderator

Here is a Beech stock I did in a new oil finsih I have that is great for heavy use. Rick B

[​IMG]

4. Stock Doc

Here's another photo. I offer this finsih instead of the traditional oil finish. Rick B

[​IMG]

5. Rick:
    Thanks for the inspiration. My stock has the same light specks as yours. They don't look bad on yours. I guess mine needs some "color". I guess I'll play with it and see what happens...It can't get any worse looking than it does now.
    Thanks for the pics,
    Gary

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Rick,that stock turned out really nice. I have a beech too,didn't know it could look like that.

7. Stock Doc

I use Fiebing's leather dye in Dark Brown. It has a heavy red color on some woods and Beech is one. The guards are Walnut and got them to match with same stain. Rick B

8. Fiebing's...Where?

Rick:
    Where will I find Fiebing's?
    Thanks,
    Gary

9. Stock Doc

I get it at a shoe repair place near home. Find any leather store. Rick B

10. Fiebings leather dye

If you want 'red', get their 'Russet' color. Mix it with Dk Brown a bit at a time, maybe cut it with rubbing alcohol. Rub it in well. Turns out an 'un-natural' color but looks great.