Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 35 years ago I bought a pair of heavy leather Danner boots for hunting and hiking. Been using them all these years in all kinds of weather, and though they look pretty rough it’s kind of amazing that they’re still hanging in there. But I wanted to upgrade to a lighter boot made with Gore-Tex, so just bought these Danner Pronghorns:

Will they last as long as my old leather Danner boots? Maybe not, but we'll see.

Danner wasn't my only choice. I also looked at Lowa and Zamberlan boots. Very high quality, but geez, $450 for a pair of hunting boots? Couldn't get my brain wrapped around such high prices for footwear, especially when it came to other brands that were made in China, so stayed with Danner at half that cost. Guess guns, ammo, and primers aren't the only things which are ridiculously priced these days.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,568 Posts
As far as I know Danner unfortunately no longer has widths that work for me except maybe some of the milspec/approved boots.
I did have a pair of custom ordered all leather black goretex lined boots I got in 1985. Unfortunately for whatever reason, genetics maybe? I ended up going from a 13EEE to a 14EEEE.
The Danners I used from 1985 until 2000 ,or so I even used them sans socks in the late spring, summer and earl Fall to get some use until they got too tight and I started getting hammer toed.
Shame as until then they were nice and fit me like a glove. Outlasted 2 of their low cut lightweight hikers of that era.
Today I'm forced to use Avenger Boots ordered through XL-FEET.com. I got I pair of all leather hikers and a part of composite safety toe ones I nicknamed my "Herman Munsters".
Nothing wrong with Danner except for my jr sasquatch sized feet.😁

· Registered
5,546 Posts
They are my go to boot as well....many years ago a few of us decided to take a motorcycle trip through the Adirondacks. It was early May, we left NW CT at 9am it was cold and raining. I had my Danner boots on and my feet never got cold nor wet. When we got to about Amenia NY it was colder and raining harder. One of the crew stopped in to the hardware store and bought a pair of rubber gloves to keep his hands dry...when he came out his boots were squishing. I asked him if his Hermans were soaked he said yes and cold too.. when we got to about Hoosick NY we stopped and I asked if anyone wanted to divert to Vermont. We had a home in Bennington and it was close and warm and we could put the bikes in the barn...the crew agreed. When we got to the house everyone changed out of their wet closthes into dry ones and hung the wet stuff up to dry in the furnace room. Everyone elses feet were soaked and cold...I must have sold 3 pair of Danners that day! We all still swear by these well made boots..

· Premium Member
10,589 Posts
I have a wide foot too and my boots are Size 13EEEE. I never had Danner before but they look nice and good quality. I had two pairs of Rocky boots years ago. One pair was called super Cornstalker's. They were like 1000 gram Thinsulate and Gortex. I wore them just for hunting each year. After about 18 years of stomping the woods they fell apart. I was walking in the woods about a 1/2 mile from my truck. My footing and arch felt weird. I looked and my sole heels had fallen off. Ii looked back in the snow and there they were. My son could not stop laughing. I said well at least I wore the soles off.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Bought a pair of Danner elk hunters from the factory in Portland in 1996 when working an outside construction job. They had 200 gr insulation only and goretex liner. Stayed dry for 20 years. After that I bought a pair of Thoroughgood boots. I went cheap last year and got Rocky's. Top eyelet came out right away and even with 1000gr. insulation, not the warmest. I will never go cheap again.

· Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Danners are very good boots. I have several pairs for most of my hiking and hunting needs and one of my favorite pairs has over 11 years of heavy mileage. The only critical thing I can say about Danner is they are not my favorite for mountain hunting where there is a lot of shale - the leather tends to get shredded quickly. They were very comfortable to wear in the mountains but I threw them away after one hunt because they were beat up beyond saving.

That said, I switched to Meindl boots for tough mountain terrain and wear my Danners for everything else.

· Premium Member
5,034 Posts
I bought my first pair of mountain lights in 1997 for hiking on Mt. Rainier. Wore them through 3 sets of soles until I thought I had lost them moving or something. So I bought another pair about 7 years ago. Wouldn't ya know that I found the old pair soon after, still good to go. So I have two pair of hikers to switch off with, and of course my required steel toe boots for work are Danners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.