Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tourism can bring billions of dollars to a city. Typically, we think of tourists being joyfully thrilled by visits to beautiful places, museums, world-class entertainment venues. Places like the Grand Canyon, Disney World, the Acropolis, Eiffel Tower, etc. But there is another tourism category called “dark tourism.”

Dark tourism is generally associated with death, disaster, suffering, or the macabre. Battlefields like Gettysburg, for example, are an example of dark tourism, as is Ground Zero in New York, Holocaust concentration camps, the catacombs in Paris, oracles of the dead in Greece, etc. Knowing this, I was privately laughing when my wife and I drove into downtown Portland this past weekend. We were participating in dark tourism because the purpose of our drive was see just how bad the devastation in downtown Portland had become.

Dark indeed.

For those of you who have never visited Portland, Oregon, it used to be known as one of America’s most beautiful cities. With majestic 11,239 foot Mount Hood as its backdrop, Portland had a reputation for friendliness, good food, cleanliness and environmental stewardship, wonderful craft beers, beautiful parks. Before 2020, Portland was receiving around $6 billion in tourism dollars annually.

All of that has disappeared. Portland today is…. I can only describe it as Third World.

The word “beauty” is nowhere to be found in Portland today. It is the absolute opposite of cleanliness and environmentalism. Garbage everywhere, not just downtown. Garbage blowing across miles of freeway leading into the city center. Axel-breaking potholes. Any night life, other than rioting, has completely disappeared. The parks are devoid of families and have all been overtaken by homeless encampments with their associated piles of waste and excrement. Used needles on the ground regardless where you turn. Drugs being sold on the streets. Insane people (I mean that literally, people with severe mental health issues) aimlessly roaming streets threatening the few pedestrians brave enough to walk in Portland.

If you can believe it, downtown Portland is even worse than the rest of the city. Buildings in downtown Portland are windowless; what used to be windows are now sheets of plywood tagged with graffiti. Homeless tents are everywhere to be seen, covering sidewalks so pedestrians have to walk in the street to get around them, in the parks where nothing green grows anymore, tents even in the street where cars formerly parked in metered spaces. The garbage and debris blowing through downtown is ever-present; you have to cover your eyes as much as your nose and mouth to walk downtown. It appears nobody is cleaning up the piles and piles of trash, it just accumulates and festers and undoubtedly attracts vermin and disease. Businesses are closed, for lease signs are on every block, shopping has all but disappeared.

A city that used to be known for its friendliness is now disgraced as the epicenter of hatred in the United States, as exemplified by Antifa and BLM. Antifa continues to riot in Portland because it hates anything that represents authority. BLM continues to riot in Portland because it is by definition a racist hate group and Portland is one of the whitest large cities in America. And it continues to get worse. The Antifa/BLM crowd rioted again, the night after our visit, breaking windows in the upscale Pearl District (an extension of downtown).

And the idiot voters in Portland keep electing the same Democrats as their city “leaders” expecting different results. What a pack of fools I have for neighbors.

Well, maybe Portland’s one saving grace is that it has a bright future.... in dark tourism.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I have no sympathy for Portland. Steps to quell the violence and destruction were avoided, help to assist regaining control was offered, yet ignored. They preferred to get in bed with the anarchists and now deservingly get to sleep on the wet spot.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Rose Festival this year.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Congress and the rest of the DC bureaucrats should be transferred to Portland OR. Let them see what they have caused. Let them see it, smell it, taste it, and live it.. (They needn't worry about COVID - they were among the first in the nation to get vaccinated. They might want to get their "full spectrum" hepatitis shots though)

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,312 Posts
Yep, a veritible "Liberal Utopia". They made their own bed. Any decent people should have tarred&feathered the mayor, fired 'em and kicked the BLMmer/Antipantyfas out! Shame on them.

·
Premium Member
20,750 Posts
The stimulus bill already has provisions for that.:(:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts