close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Darkening" those new leather slings

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DaveTinNY, Jul 30, 2002.

1. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

Here's tip that I thought of; not sure if anyone else has tried it or not but those new leather slings from MRT, etcetera, can be oiled up to a nice dark color for a cheap price and you can be sure it won't be harmful to the leather (if you don't use *too* much oil that is)... You may even have it lying around the house for the kids (or your own use):
    I used baseball glove oil. Simple as that. Works like a champ. :)

Dave T

2. You're absolutley right Dave.

Baseball glove oil does a great job.

I did a quick draw western gun fighter style holster and belt for a guy and did the same thing to get a 'used and worn' look.

Turned out great.....amd it adds a good level of water resistance too.

It's a great tip to share...fer sure.

3. I use KIWI shoe polish.

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I hae had great luck and a perfect match to old U.S. Military leather matching with the stuff below. I bought it all at a local shoe repair store. RIck B

[​IMG]

5. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

Sounds good, Rick, but I'll bet that stuff smells a bit more nasty than the relatively nice glove oil. :)
    Thanks for the info anyway!
    Dave T

6. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Doesn't stink that I know of. The cleaner does but after you are done and leather is protected there is no smell. Rick B

7. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Silly me, I bought a black sling.

8. How about Kiwi shoe die with a little sprinkle of mink oil,let oil be soaked in by having the sun do its thing...then you are ready to eat it.:D

Last edited: Aug 9, 2002