close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Darwin?????????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Overlooked drug could cost defendant 15 years

By Robert Perez | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted July 25, 2002

SANFORD -- Octavius Dontea Wilson learned a valuable lesson on Wednesday: If you're going to court on drug charges, leave your marijuana at home.

The 19-year-old Sanford man had a 9 a.m. hearing at the Seminole County Courthouse to face drug-possession charges. Somehow, he forgot about a tiny plastic bag containing marijuana in his pocket.

When Wilson arrived at courthouse security and emptied his pockets, Deputy Oscar Soto noticed the bag and grabbed Wilson by the arm. The only thing Wilson could think to do was run.

His attempt to flee was short-lived, and now it could lead to a long jail term. Wilson ran out of the courthouse to his car, which was about 500 feet away on Park Avenue, with Soto in pursuit, said Seminole County sheriff's spokesman Steve Olson.

Wilson was able to get into the car and put it in gear before Soto could stop him. Wilson began to drive off, with Soto hanging onto him through the driver's side window.

After being dragged for a few feet, Soto let go and fell to the pavement. Deputy Preston Allyn, who was driving by the courthouse, saw the incident and tried to stop Wilson. The two vehicles banged into each other several times while traveling less than a block south on Park before both spun out and crashed into two parked cars.

Wilson climbed out of the driver's window and fled. He was captured without incident in an alleyway between Third and Fourth streets, Olson said. Soto was taken to Central Florida Regional Hospital for an injury to his right knee. No bones were broken, but he may have ligament damage, Olson said. Soto declined to be interviewed.

Wilson, who was being held at Seminole County Jail without bail, now faces several charges, including aggravated battery with a motor vehicle on a law-enforcement officer, aggravated assault with a vehicle on a law-enforcement officer and possession of marijuana.

Before Wednesday's incident, Wilson faced up to a year in prison. Now, he could be sentenced to as many as 15 years.

Robert Perez can be reached
    at rperez@orlandosentinel.com
    or 407-322-1298. :rolleyes:

2. I heard pot smoking affects ones memory. ________________________ Now where was I.:D

3. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Not quite a Darwin winner, but if he keeps trying, I'm sure he'll make it.

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

umm, what was I gonna say???

5. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

uhh, Wow man let go of my arm, I'm trying to drive man.

Now I'm late for court, puff, puff and I'm gonna get in trouble hahahaha.

Which way is the courthouse man?

6. I am still laughing at this one, not quite a Darwin because he didn't kill himself but pretty stupid for sure!

7. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    There is no way this guy could be at the top of the food chain with the rest of us. This is your brain on drugs.