Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Things are not what they seem.
11,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gun shop is celebrating their 25th anniversary. They currently are offering American Eagle XM193F at 30 cents a round. These are 55g FMJ rounds. If similar to what I bought before, this is probably production overrun stuff in LC brass and will need to be swaged after shooting the first time.

So, would you go for it or pass? I have about 1000 loaded rounds of similar stuff and probably 250 empties sitting around now. The price seems decent, but not amazing to me, and I'm trying to guess where prices are going to go, up or down, in more or less near future.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me! I have not found decent ammo for sale for less than 40 cents a round in a long time! Speculating on prices is a hard thing to do.

My decision process would be:

1) Do I need the ammo? (based on how much shooting I am doing or plan to do?)

2)Do I need the brass?

3)Is the price worth it at this time?

4) Would buying this ammo at this amount give me an edge in bragging rights over (insert highly competitive friends who is always shoving the latest and greatest in your face Name Here)?

Answer yes to 3 out of the 4 and it is a go. Answer No to number three forget it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you have ammo and don't shoot it super frequently, I'd hold off for two reasons.
1) Ammo prices seem to be slowly coming down now that the gun/ammo scare is subsiding.
2) There are places where you can get .223/5.56 ammo for about that price regularly right now:

Our Catalog ($5.99/20 is $0.30/round, plus shipping but shipping isn't excessive there)
Ammunition - .223/5.56 (~$300/1000, shipping is a flat $12 for 1000 rounds, they have Federal XM193, PMC, & others)
223 Rem 55 gr. FMJ ($299/1000 + shipping which is about the same as at aimsurplus. This ammo is reloaded. I have not personally shot any of it, but it has good reviews)
GunBroker.com - Auctions by SportsmansSupply (Varying prices, they do $0.01 auctions and let the price go up to however much people are willing to pay. No extra shipping cost, and no extra credit card fees. If you're patient, you can get good deals from them.)
SGAmmo.com | Family Owned and Operated, Stillwater Oklahoma - Decent place to look for ammo. None of the brass cased .223/5.56 they have is at $0.30/round, but they do have deals here and there on other stuff. I have it on my list of places I look when I'm looking for ammo.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I have shot the American Eagle ammo and it seems to be pretty decent. I do believe it is made by Federal and is their equivalent to Remington UMC or Winchester white box. I can't remember if the primer pockets needed to be reamed out prior to reloading. $.30 doesn't seem to bad I guess. They will make a little profit and you would have your ammo.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
American Eagle isn't bad. I would shoot it all day long if I could.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts