close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

December 1942 SA auction find

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ronbo, Apr 20, 2002.

1. ronbo

ronbo G&G Newbie

I generally sit back and read what goes on here. Only once or twice did I post messages on the old board. Well, I just can't keep quiet about this. I went to an estate auction Thursday night. I frequently attend this particular auction as I have interests in certain antique items. I'm walking around checking things out when I spot an M1 on the table. I immediately head over to it to get a closer look. It is a bit dirty but appears to be ok otherwise. It turned out to be a Springfield with serial number 1069XXX which dates it to December 1942. The barrel is SA 12-42 and the stock has a nice S.A./E.McF. cartouche with the crossed cannon stamp next to it and the circled P on the grip. I won the auction and got it for less than $400. When I got home, I pulled it apart to see what I actually had. The barrel is beautiful. TE of less than 4 and it passed the bullet test with flying colors. As dusty and dirty as the gun was, it must have been stored after the barrel was well lubricated as there was no corrosion or pitting in the bore. The operating rod is part #D35382 6SA which is correct for the receiver serial number and it is not modified. I have not yet stripped the gun down, but from my preliminary examination, it appears that only two parts are not original. The bolt is a 17SA and should be a 12SA and the trigger housing is 8SA and should be a 12SA. The stock is in good condition with no major dings or damage, just what appears to be wear and tear from being carried into battle. The front handguard has two hairline cracks which I'll probably have repaired. Rifle came with a leather sling attached and even had the metal oiler and pull-through and bore brush in the stock. I would think that this rifle did not come from the DCM/CMP and was brought home by a returning veteran after the war. What stories it could tell! Next time I am at the auction I am going to ask the auctioneer if he would mind getting in touch with the consignors of the estate to see if they would let me contact them to inquire about the history of this rifle. It would be very interesting to know where in the world this rifle spent the war. It would be even nicer to get a picture of the soldier carrying this actual weapon. One can only hope. I was going to buy another M1 from the CMP to go with my S.A./N.F.R. that I already have and take pot luck on a Springfield hoping to get a battle rifle but I guess that need has been satisfied now. I'll try to post a picture or two in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  2. Wow! You must live a good life! Nothing the CMP could give you could match that!

3. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Excelent job and I would never let that one go. Rick B

4. In all seriousness,and may I be the first to say,"good luck." I, and I speak for all other Garand owners, that you are able to track down the history of that rifle that holds a special part in OUR AMERICAN HISTORY.If you can let us all know how your journey is coming along. ;-)

5. DOUBLE WOW!!!! Good luck, hope you are able to get some history and a couple of photos. I always stop in at estate and garage sales in my service area. Always looking for a find like that. I did find a Colt 1917 .38 for $35 and the best of all a 1903/A3 Smith Corona in unissed conditon from the NRA dated 1960 still in cosmoline. Happy Hunting!!!!!Post the pictures and history please. Ken

Ronbo, there was no pictures. Maybe too large. Soot , get an Email list and send 'em. GREAT FIND!!!

Last edited: May 21, 2002
  6. Very nice find...

looks like a flush nut rear sight also. I certainly hope it's NOT a vet bring-back: if it is, it's stolen property. Serviceable US ordnance like rifles were not allowed to be kept, like captured enemy gear and some enemy weapons.

7. DocCombat

DocCombat G&G Newbie

FBNC
    **** it!!!! MY family has been dealing with antiques and estate auctions and sales all my life. And I have never found anything like that in any of the estates we've bought. Man am I green with envy. Nice find.

8. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY G&G Newbie

Great find! I, too, hope the rifle wasn't stolen and that it was just sent home by the veteran, carefully bypassing some of the crazy Army regulations of the day... Heck, Roscoe C. Blunt, Jr. sent home a TON of items, much of it "captured" or "liberated" German shtuff. Read his book entitled "Foot Soldier." A well written autobiography about a US GI... it's his story from the US to the ETO and home again.
    Dave T