Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a stash of 40 cal ammo for my Steyr M40. That's pretty much my standard pistol caliber. Considerations of getting a 9mm and a 45 have thus far come to naught.

And I've always wanted a pistol caliber carbine. It's been on the back burner for a while. I've tended to think I'd want a subgun based one, but have heard horror stories about the triggers on MACs, dislike the weak plastic of Kel Tecs, and just haven't crossed the Hi-Point line.

Now CDNN has Ruger PC4 40 cal carbines for $340 good to excellent, complete with a mag pouch and factory sling. $309 for avg to good without a mag pouch for $309. I fired a PC9 years back and it was a real rugged little bugger. Jammed once or twice, but perhaps it neded to be broken in. I had great aim with the sites.

This carbine and my Steyr pistol would make a great home defense and indoor shooting range combo. Anyone have more experience with this carbine? Wondering if I should take the plunge while a Saiga 223 is a hundred less.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And did I mention how tough this carbine is? I'd put it on the same lines as my Mossberg 590 for modern synthetic buttstroker resilience. In fact, since there are no other restricted features, I could legally put a flash hider or bayonet lug on it.

Wondering also if I could make it accept my Steyr mags, perhaps with a shim or two, or an extra slot.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
getting the mags to work may take some doing but you know i'm gona be pro-ruger anyway. but have you given the thought of the pistol carbine kits out now, i have seen them out for the 1911 frames that make a 16" bbl carbine that takes pistol mags and they have them out for glock frames too, if you could find one of these for around 250 and then come across a remaned 22 frame you could have a carbine that would take the hi-cap mags.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
we have a collage that is just north of us that uses the ruger 40's as duty guns and have the carbines as rifles now, same ammo same mags.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,026 Posts
Well, from a dedicated HP guy, that Ruger PC40 sounds like a good deal. The price is about even with a K . . .Kel . . . uh . . <cough> KELTEC . . . Whew, can barely even stand to say the name. :rolleyes:
I've handled the PC9, and I liked it. Kinda like a modernized equivalent to an M1 Carbine. The sights are good, it shoots good, and it FEELS good! :cool:
I've been avoiding the .40 S&W, just because it'd be yet another caliber to collect and load for. Since you already are into it, this is a good deal for you.
I wish my shooting buddy had gotten a PC9 or PC40, instead of that danged K . . . uh . . . you know . . . :p

Me, I'm still holding out for the .45ACP Hi-point Carbine. :D

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too would go for a Hi Point 45. But I've learned not to hold my breath for them.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's what it looks like. Sadly, this isn't the model with ghost ring sites.

I wonder if CDNN's price on them will drop like it sometimes does.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
I almost bought one last year in 9MM, but it had a giant deep scuff on the barrel brandnew. He wouldn't come down on the price either. I wasn't about to pay top dollar for a new scuffed up rifle. It had the ghost ring sights...very cool.

·
Tradehawker LLC / www.tradehawker.com / Jn 17:17
2,041 Posts
Wake County Sheriff's Dept. uses the PC4. They bought them for patrol vehicles to have an alternative to the shotgun. Ruger sends a team of reps to train the departmental armorers.

I talked to the head of Ruger's R&D out of Prescott, AZ Thursday. He told me the PC45 has been developed and tested for over 2 years. The PC45 prototype takes P90, P97, and 1911 magazines. The top Ruger brass has refused to release this carbine citing lack of sales and demand... GO FIGURE!!! They will not release this carbine unless thy recive a TON of mail or calls. Supply them either if you can...

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Lacey Place
Southport, CT 06890
Telephone: 203-259-7843
Fax: 203-256-3367

Ask for customer relations... request that the PC45 Carbine be offered for public sale. Tell them you personally plan on buying 2... ;) Also, if you are law enforcement, tell them that you'd like to buy one in the future for a department demonstration and evaluation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
They are definitely solid rifles. I've had the chance to shoot one in 9mm at the range a couple times. I enjoyed it. Definitely combat accurate. Solid purchase.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dunno what they're smoking if they think a PC 45 won't sell, especially using 1911 mags. It would immediately grab the market formerly held by Marlin by the Camp 45. I had a Marlin Camp 45, seemed pretty flimsy and prone to jam. Rugers may have their jams but they're certainly not flimsy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts