Deer Diseases?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Coach, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    A few weeks ago, my local Sunday newspaper had an article pertaining to two different diseases that NYS has been tracking in our deer population. Has anyone here ever heard of the two from the below chart? This was with the article in the news.

The reason I ask is, this past week, a young Doe was roaming my property and the people across the road. The deer had symptoms of both the listed diseases. The deer in question eventually died on my neighbors front lawn.

Just wondering if this is being watched in other states.

119147198_3630566060300737_7562021039022390777_o.jpg

119450615_10224135922374210_1258932634430231872_n.jpg

jwrauch and Jaison like this.
  2. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

We have both in Virginia.

jwrauch and rando like this.

3. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

EHD in water.jpg We don't have CWD in our deer heard yet but we do have EHD & it's getting close to my hunting area, it's got me worried about this hunting season.
    This picture was posted on a hunting forum it from a couple of county's over from me, it's a dead deer in water. They seek out water to cool off from the fever.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  4. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Both have been around in the far western part of my State mainly. Started to see many cases in West Virginia and disease spread into Maryland. The DNR is always trying to track the spread by taking samples of brain matter from hunters deer. Many states around here you can not take a whole deer over state lines because of disease spread. The DNR usually will have you check it in and then you have to remove head and debone complete deer. You just are allowed to take strictly deboned meat over state lines.

5. 410dude

410dude G&G Evangelist

We've been warned about both. Now we are being warned about "Bunny Ebola" rabbit hemorrhagic disease .

6. rando

Maryland
    My brother has two properties to hunt on in West Virginia. He may build a house on one soon. He dont hunt but offered me to hunt deer there. Plenty of them but the thing is its the worst area for CWD. I have talked to others that choose not to shoot and eat deer in the area. The wildlife biologists claim the meat is safe to eat as long as you thoroughly cook it. Then they are not too sure of themselves. They really dont know about transmission of the diseases to humans from handling, butchering or eating.

Coach and Jaison like this.
  7. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Hmmm!?! Going back to my original post, when the doe died on my neighbors lawn, I called the DEC. I spoke with one of their wardens direct. He came by that night to retrieve the carcass. He told me that they were going to cut out the liver and send it out for testing. That deer was the second one in a week that they took for testing. My wife and I subscribe to a neighbor watch site on the internet, and several of the animals are up and dying in people's yards.

Now, I have a question. I know most people will field dress a deer before pulling it from the woods. Wouldn't this pose a problem of spread to other species such as Turkey buzzards or coyote for example?

Jaison and rando like this.
  8. rando

Maryland
    Coach it could be spread from animals being gutted and left exposed on the ground. I do know it can be spread from saliva from one deer to the next and from eating uncooked meet. So seems to me it can be spread from organs. You have a very good question. I am going to call my son that is a wildlife officer and studies this stuff also. He works with wildlife biologists on a lot of similar issues.

Coach, Jaison and 410dude like this.
  9. rando

Maryland
    Coach I just got off of the phone with my son. Had a good conversation with him because have not talked for awhile. I asked him about CWD and EHD. He said CWD you can tell as the deer look starved and thin when dying or dead. The EHD is different and they sometimes call it Blue Tongue disease as their tongue turns blue. When a deer dies from EHD it still looks healthy he said. The question you asked about the coming into contact with a gut pile and being spread to other animals. He said yes. He said a matter of fact the disease stays in the soil where the guts were for years sometimes. If a deer or other animal feeds from the ground there then they can get it. He said even plants and weeds that grow in the soil at the gut pile site will carry the disease parasite also . He said other deer grazing on that weed or grass or vegetation have a good chance of getting it. He told me if you have a sudden amount of deer in your area dying close together then it is EHD for sure. He said it is also a blood borne disease transmitted by blow flies and mosquitos and other insects that bite the deer and then others too. He has seen 6-8 deer dead all of a sudden from it and people thought someone had killed them. He told me that the flies and insects that transmit it should die off after the first good frost and it will disappear for a bit. He also said that before the frosts that like in summer it will spring up and have kills and then reside for a bit and then will pop up again suddenly out of nowhere. Hope this helps you out a bit. I was trying to remember all he was telling me.

Coach, Ranger4, blaster and 2 others like this.
  10. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Fascinating and timely thread.

Have to dive into this for the Old Dominion, now. No sense taking chances... 2020 and all.

11. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

CWD has been devastating deer in Wyoming and other places for more than 40 years, now in 26 or so states. I hunted areas 27 and 29 in Wyoming many years, testing there shows about 6% of the deer there have it. It is scabies, or mad cow disease and in some form has been around forever. The best method for stopping it is to kill out all the deer in an area or cut their numbers to very small herds and that has been tried in several locations. It is spread by a tiny thing called a prion or a protein, you cannot kill it with most things, it can survive survive bleach in tissue for hours. It can survive up to 16 years in dirt. It must be heated to 700 degrees to kill it, think about that one. So, it is a big deal.

In Wyoming they had testing centers set up and for $20 they would test your deer. Many states make it illegal to bring a deer or elk carcass into their state. For several years they had road blocks set up on I 25 in Colorado where they pulled over and checked hunters, not sure if they still do. It is basically transported in the organs and brain.

There has never been a confirmed case of a human getting it, but I will not eat it, not willing to take the risk. Like anything else, use gloves when dressing, bone out the meat in the field or as quick as you can after the kill and do NOT eat the organs, and then have it tested. Or just do not handle it and cook it well, well done> LOL
    https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...ch-inactivates-chronic-wasting-disease-prions
    https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/article/prion-hypothesis-cwd-examination-evidence

I think it was Oklahoma where they found a game farm that had a large number of infected elk from another state and they killed the entire herd. I believe the government paid them fairly for the loss and that seems to be the plan when they find it in the game farms.

Deer seem to come back over time, but a scary deal for sure.

jwrauch likes this.
  12. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Scabies and mad cow disease or CWD are not the same thing. Scabies is caused by mites, and is totally unrelated to CWD.

13. shop tom

In our neck of the woods (Northeastern Lower Michigan) the big deer disease problem is bovine tuberculosis. Because of the deers' close interaction with cattle farms, there is cross-contamination between the two species, both of which can become infected with it. If a farmer's herd is found to be infected, all are destroyed and the farmer cannot replace them for 2 years. There have been cases where hunters have contracted the disease from gutting infected deer.

rando likes this.
  14. theGrizzFan

theGrizzFan G&G Evangelist

S.W. MO
    Around 20 years ago I went with my father to an EnCon meeting about CWD (in Albany, NY). Basically they said they weren't sure how it spread, it wasn't in the state yet, but they were taking measures to reduce the spread of the yet to be present disease, wanting to crack down on feeding plots and such, including "bird" feeding (people would put out corn and claim it was for turkeys). Anyway, I asked the EnCon biologist how long it would take for the disease to get from Michigan to NY and he said it could happen any day. I asked how that was possible and he said because of the interstate transportation of ranched deer. I asked why they didn't require testing of the commercial deer between states and he replied that was Ag and Markets division. EnCon knew of this disease coming, knew there was an easy fix to delay it from getting to the state, which could have bought time for better understanding of the disease and ways to combat it if it made it's way to the state by nature. Heck no. It was as if they wanted the disease to get to NY and elsewhere.
    Typical NY political B.S. as usual.

BigEd63 likes this.
  15. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

You are so right. Senior moment. It is scrapie as in sheep. Another form of what I call brain rot.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapie#:~:text=Scrapie is a fatal, degenerative disease that affects,spongiform encephalopathies, scrapie is caused by a prion.
    It is normally spread by prions, just like CWD. However, it can also be spread by hay mites. Scrapie is a form of Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs and is similar in human diseases, cattle, deer and sheep.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmissible_spongiform_encephalopathy

Seems I forgot the word, thanks for catching it. Seems like I do that more and more.

shop tom likes this.
  16. shop tom

The scary thing about diseases that are caused by prions is that it is thought that they may NOT be destroyed buy cooking. That is why consuming animals infected with CWD or similar diseases is not recommended.

blaster and rando like this.
  17. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

That is true. We could probably get mad cow disease also since lots more people eat cows. I killed one about 15 years ago where there had never been a reported case of CWD. I was a rare deal, the longest shot I ever tried and I made over 400 yards. The deer had hair that was wiry, like a wire haired terrier. I was maybe a mile up rugged hills but I did the deal and got the deer out and took it to a biologist. He said it was rare but sometimes showed up. So, I ate it, but now wonder if maybe it was CWD. I watched the deer cover about a 3/4 mile and stalked it and there were no indications it was sick. Had no clue till I climbed up where I shot it or I would have let it pass. Scary.

18. rando

Maryland
    I also just recalled my son telling something also about deer with EHD. He said most cases of dead deer he has investigated with the disease are near water. He said something about them craving water when ready to die. He said he gets calls sometimes for multiple dead deer and they are close to a pond, river, stream or spring etc...

Coach and Jaison like this.
  19. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Well! Speaking of multiples, Yet another one on the side of the road across the road from me last night. Was a little too dark out to get a photo of so I didn't bother, and someone came by and picked it up early this morning. The closest thing that could be considered a waterway near me, would be the storm sewer runoff that runs on my property line, but both these animals were too far from there (I think) to be the source of water they were searching for. I know this deer from yesterday was definitely NOT a roadkill, I was outside on my deck with the dogs listening to a baseball game all afternoon, I would have heard something.

Jaison and rando like this.
  20. rando

Maryland
    Hopefully if the weather changes really cold in a couple months then the spread will stop for the winter. I am wondering if wildlife biologists are even testing these dead deer to see what they were carrying.

Jaison likes this.