Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first post on this site had to be about my current project, finding a good combo for hunting white tails in Northern MN.

Right now I just run a standard 870 Express with a smooth barrel. I am looking to upgrade a little with finding something with a rifled barrel and scope.

The best option I am looking at is dropping the money for the rifled barrel with scope mount for sitting in the stand then changing barrels for drives through the brush.

Any other ideas out there? Most of my friends are in rifle zones so I don't have anyone with guns I can test. So I just wanted to know what others are using.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
My deer hunting gun is an NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I am actually in shotgun only zone! Completely limited to nothing but slug guns.
870 with rifled slug barrel, thats my deer hunting shotgun, 3" groups at 100 yards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I might throw rifled barrel on there and forget about the scope. I mean, do I really need one for 100-150 yds?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I think I might throw rifled barrel on there and forget about the scope. I mean, do I really need one for 100-150 yds?
It would help, and you could have a little more assurance on those longer shots

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well, the 870 is pretty accurate with the slug barrel. Mine is about as accurate as my muzzle loader, and I feel comfortable out to about 125 yards unscoped, but everyone is different. Only reason it doenst have a scope is because it would make it illegal for the MN muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
a rifled slug barrel will do wonders for ya. i would go with a scope, that scope adss valuable shooting time first thing i the morning. dang hard to see iron sights the first 15 or 20 minutes of legal shooting. a scope will make that time of the morning useable.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Waddero if you want to save some geeda go to the mossberg web site O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining they manufacture and sale Remington 870 slug barrels.
They have several slug barrels, but the one you might be interested in comes with.
Integreal scope base, the barrel is a 24 incher, the finish is matte blue and the barrel is rifled.

Mossberg button rifle's their barrels so I suppose they do that to the Remington clones as well. Thats good.

The best part is that it only list for 170 dollars, so you might can buy it a lot cheaper somewhere else.

Expect to pay more for a remington barrel. Have a nice day. Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, there definitely was a significant difference in the prices. I think I will probably go with getting the barrel with the cantilever (sp?) scope mount and just throw the smooth bore on for pushing brush.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know where I can find a Mossberg made barrel to fit an 1187 Remington? There isn't one on mossbergs website so I don't know if they make it or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts