Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been deer hunting in georgia for about 9 years and ive usually been using a 30-30. could you give me some suggestions on some other guns that are good in georgia.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,725 Posts
I'd say it would depend somewhat on the terrain you are hunting. Are you in the timber, hunting ag fields etc. Is your 30-30 an iron sighted 94 or marlin type? Are you looking for more range? Power? Acuracy? Do you hand load? Do you hav a budget range? What kind of ammo availability do you have in stores?

·
Registered
412 Posts
All good questions from Jerry... In my neck of the woods (NW Montana/Idaho) the good ole .270 is a popular deer cartridge. But, like Jerry said, it all depends on the terrain you're hunting, and what type of hunting you're doing whether it be open fields or hilly terrain. Tough to beat that 30-30 as an all around brush beater.

·
Registered
405 Posts
the guys above me are right it depends on terrain here in mississipp or at least my part its fields surrounded by wood lands as for me i use a 243

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Excuse me deer slayer11... Have you tried the new Hornady LeverEvolution 30-30
Ammo in your 30-30 rifle ?
If not then buy a box and make sure you sight in your rifle, you might not want another rifle.
Check them out...A.H

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my 30-30 is a marlin and it has a scope. im hunting usually on a power line thats on our property and ive seen some good deer way off and the 30-30 doesent reach out to them.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Excuse me deer slayer11... Have you tried the new Hornady LeverEvolution 30-30
Ammo in your 30-30 rifle ?
If not then buy a box and make sure you sight in your rifle, you might not want another rifle.
Check them out...A.H
The new ammo doesnt stabilise well in the older LA,s with a slower twist.They increased the twist rate in lever guns for the longer bullets. sam.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,725 Posts
That's tough, there are a ton of opinions out there none bad probably all of them right. Do you have any friends or family guns you can test drive?

The good 'ole .308 as mentioned is a good all around. There are may more on the list. 243, 7mmo8, 30-06, 25-06, 270,,, etc. etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts