Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to start deer hunting this fall, I've always loved watching hunting shows on t.v and listen to friends tell their larger than life stories. But I kinda want the "behind the scenes" look at deer hunting. Things they dont show you on television. For example:

How do you get a big deer back to your truck? Cut it up into managable pieces?

Do you bleed the deer in the feild where it fell or at home?

What do you use to save the meat?

If you want to mount the head, do you just chop it off and take to a taxidermist?

Just a little new to the big game hunting scene. Any input would be helpful!

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
deer are typically field dressed, and then dragged back by hand(4 wheeler woks well if you have 1). weather permitting, i like to let a deer hang for 2 or 3 days, then process it. hunting can be boring, frustrating, and exciting all at the same time. hope you enjoy it for years to come.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hey Griz what i do when I harvest a deer is tag it 1st.
Before we had ATV's we gutted the deer in the woods to remove some of the weight of the deer to make dragging to a point to load in a pick up truck easier.
With a 4 wheeler you load or drag. In my case I have a tiny trailor to heave the deer upon behind my 4 wheeler.
We have a place where we park our trucks and this is where we skin the deers from a big Gum tree.
We don't cut there throats or gut them. We only gut them when weve hung them up to skin them.
To make transporting easy some Quarter cut the deer and place in Heavy duty garbage bags to take home to cut up and wrap.
I've started takeing my deer skinned to a person that has a nice butcher shop at his house that cuts and wrapps my deer that cost 40 dollars a deer for 10 dollars more one of his kids will skin it as long as you gut it.
To remove the head lol is decided by the kind of mount you want, just saw it off head/neck or shoulder.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
be aware that in some states, you are not allowed to do anything more than field dress an animal before it is registered. refer to your states laws and regulations.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Maybe I'm lazy, but I'll feild dress it and take it straight to the processor. Depending on the temerature, you may want to warm it up, or vice versa, ice it down to preserve tenderness. Check with you're local processor for the right way to do it. He can also recomend and deliver the mount to a taxidermist. And if you want to keep the shoulder mount, stop cutting at the breast bone.And dont forget to throw the testicles at your freinds!

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Field dressing (just as the name implies) is essential to reducing spoilage and maintaining meat quality, removing the viscera as soon as possible after a kill is made is key to making the meat remain in as prime a condition as possible. Cooling not freezing the meat to age before butchering is a personal choice, I've found allowing the skinned and dressed whole carcass to hang in a cooler at just above freezing 33-35 degrees before butchering enhances the taste and tenderness of the cuts. After that it's just a matter of how you'd like the meat sectioned and or ground. JMHO

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you haven't shot a gun, you will definatly need one of those. Have one of your friends who owns a rifle take you out and show you the ropes. After that, you will need a licenese, and reading your deer hunting laws and regulations before the hunt would be needed. Since this is your first year hunting, I reccomend finding a good butcher to take care of the deer, thats usually what I do, unless I can find the time to do it myself.

·
Ahh..Cordite.
911 Posts
Field dressing (just as the name implies) is essential to reducing spoilage and maintaining meat quality, removing the viscera as soon as possible after a kill is made is key to making the meat remain in as prime a condition as possible.
Amen brother..thats the key...I usually get it all ground for burgers and sausage and pies and meatballs..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts