Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the start of the November Antlerless season here in Iowa, and a couple friends and I decided to try our luck earlier in the year then normal. It was a little warmer outside than I'm used to and the deer are alot less spooked. I picked two off this morning, one was a decent sized button buck, and the other was a large doe. As a group we still have two more tags to fill, so we will head back out tomorrow morning. I will post pics tomorrow after we are all done.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Congrats. What kind of cover were they in (if any), what did you hit them with, and what was the range?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The both were in light to medium brush (thorns). I was using my trusty 870 wearing a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot sight, with 2 3/4" Remington Coppersolids sabot slugs (I highly reccomend using these, very accurate and a hollowpoint design). The first one I shot was 80-85 yds away, the second was at 45-50 yds away

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
What's your limit in Iowa?

Good hunting, SilentKnight! That's meat for the fridg and one for your buddy. Did they drop immediately...or jump and run before go'in down?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from the field, a buddy of mine shot a very nice doe (which we had to drag about a mile). In Iowa you can shoot as many deer as you have tags for. You can buy as many antlerless tags as you want/can afford, you can only buy 1 anysex tag. Now for pics
This is me and the large doe that I shot

This is a shot of both of mine hanging after being skinned

And this is a shot of my friend and his doe

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Nice pic's, SK...and good hunting! Looks like a nice fall day for hunting, for sure. Hope you've got plenty of freezer room for all that venison.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good job frozen, what caliber do you use? And just to let you know we just had a cold front come through up here, so its no longer as nice as it was. It went from a high of 67 on Tuesday to a high of 28 on Wednesday.

·
Registered
593 Posts
.243 WSSM that day. I saw the biggest white tail buck I've ever laid eye's on in that frozen alfalfa field. It's about 1000 yards across and he got to 300 yards from me along with about 8 doe's and a nice 8 point. Thats the first time I've ever suffered from buck fever. I felt I could make the shot, but convinced myself to settle down and wait and see if they came any closer. After all, they had marched 700 yards straight towards me! They scratched around in the snow for about 2 minutes, then something spooked them, probably my heart beat. They all took off at a 90 degree angle, and I didnt want to risk wounding him, even though Ray Charles could track him in that field. I beat myself up all day but think I ultimately made the right decision. Maybe he'll come to me next year.
:34: BTW I bought that hat for the goofy factor but it sure came in handy last week!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts