Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a tikka t3 270 and woundered what the best bullets to hunt deer with and if a 270 would be big enough for elk and what bullets to use for them. thanks for any info. leroy

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would use a Winchester ballistic silver tip for the deer and a something like the Winchester fail-safe for the Elk. Should work for both.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
At one time you could get .277 hunting bullets in two weights 130 and 150gr.Now they have a 140gr..What I have seen of it,it's the best of both worlds.The biggest thing is design, as you can take a flat base rp and a bthp,same weight,leaving the muzzle at the same speed and the fbrn will have the same ke-fps at 300yds as the bthp has at 400yds.They make bullets that either kill at shorter ranges or travel longer ranges.It is a very efficient cartridge when loaded right. sam.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
i have always used the winchester 130 grain power points and the remington 130 core locks, both work great for me

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
for deer,a 130gr bullet is more than enough. for elk i would pick a heavier bullet of better construction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my two years hunting in TX, Remington 130gr core-lock has done the trick. Three deer and a javalina from 60yds to 160yds. All just dropped.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I load them with 130 gr. Core-Lokt's or 130 gr. Hornady S.P.'s for Tx whiteails with excellent results. For Elk-sized game, I'd stick with a premium 150gr. like a Nosler Partition, Hornady Interbond, etc..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your not going to go wrong with a .270 in any choice. The 140 is only better if you need longer range. This gun has stopped everything here and in Africa also.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Your not going to go wrong with a .270 in any choice. The 140 is only better if you need longer range. This gun has stopped everything here and in Africa also.
I find the 130gr has a better drop table than the 140gr which is better than the 150gr within the efective range of a .270win..But the 140gr will penetrate better with less chance of bullet failure than the 130gr but expand better and distribute more energy in the wound channel than the 150gr.Your old Rem.corelokt were famous for bullet failure if they hit bone but great if the shot was right.The cause was the oxidization that develloped between the jacket and core when the hot core was inserted.The new bonded core and stretched ogive has eleminated this problem.It is just personal but I believe some of the other bonded bullets are better.But if you like corelokt,use them.I only have the bullet failure against them.You cant buy the new Rem.bonded corelokt bullets to reload,only loaded ammo. Plus,I have had Rem.factory loads fail to fire period.Only on the range thank GOD.You can use a ,270 on very little game in africa and only if backed up with a big bore. sam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Samuel has a point I did not consider. Not that my experience is deep or based on years of experience. The deer I shot outside Abilene last weekend was not clean through the deer. I shot in the lower neck (slightly facing me) and it exited the shoulder... but did not exit. I actually found the bullet lodged under the skin on the exit side with a bunch of bone. Sorry for being graphic but I may consider the 140gr.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Samuel has a point I did not consider. Not that my experience is deep or based on years of experience. The deer I shot outside Abilene last weekend was not clean through the deer. I shot in the lower neck (slightly facing me) and it exited the shoulder... but did not exit. I actually found the bullet lodged under the skin on the exit side with a bunch of bone. Sorry for being graphic but I may consider the 140gr.
NewTx, where were you hunting? We've got a lot of nice deer around here but it's been so warm that we haven't seen squat where I'm at.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Cool, I went to school in Tuscola and Lawn and had friends that lived out around Goldsboro.

·
Registered
39 Posts
130 grain Nosler Partition It will drop either like a bad habbit. The hydro static shock value is simply devistating. And the steel base will punch through the heaviest bone.
I have used it with success on several occasions om Elk, Moose, Deer, And once on a charging Grizzly. Wouldn't recomend use on Grizzly if at all avoidable.
But anything else not a problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
federal supreme utilize the Nosler partition and the 150 grain is more than adequate to drop a Elk with confidence out to 300 yards. IF you are comfortable shooting at that range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've used 130 gr. Core-Lokt's on both deer in California and elk in Colorado which have resulted in many kills including this years hunt in Colorado in which I knocked down a bull elk out 307 yards with 1 shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been using Federal ammo with the Nosler 130 grain ballistic tip. That is a deer dropping round. It even dropped a cow elk this fall with it. I had the 130 grain Ballistic tip on top in my magazine with 150 grain Partitions. The opportunity came so quick I forgot about how my magazine was stacked. Don't use the Ballistic tip for elk, use the partition or something similar.
I have shot numerous deer with a 7-30 Waters 14" barrel 140 grain ballistic tip. I love the Ballistic tip for deer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have taken one deer with a 270, all the rest were with a 280.

With the 270, I was shooting 135 grain remington - the same kind you can get at wal-mart. The bullet hit the deer in the neck, blew out a major artery and the deer still ran 50 yards.

I dont think you need real expensive, super doper rounds to deer hunt with, bullet placement is more important.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts