close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

deer hunting with a 204 Ruger?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by VladmirVarmintr, Jun 7, 2010.

1. VladmirVarmintr

VladmirVarmintr G&G Newbie

since there is no medium sized game hunting category il ask it here.

a friend wanted to know if the 204 ruger cartridge will take down a deer.
    does anyone have any insight or experience with this topic?

:feedback:

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

deer are considered big game. as to the question, anybody who would even consider using a .204 for deer hunting is at the very least a FOOL.

3. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

I concur.

4. VladmirVarmintr

thats what i thought. thanks.
    ima 30 cal person for everything.

5. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

It probably would be illegal per hunting regulations.

6. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

Glad you guys spoke up.

7. VladmirVarmintr

good.
    i heard some guy talking ata gun show saying he used a 22 k hornet and killed one with a head shot.

22 isa cruel round to use on anything larger than small game imo.

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

lots of deer have been killed with the lowly 22lr, but it doesnt make it right, or wise.

9. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Enthusiast

It would kill a deer with a headshot, but not reliably anywhere else. I would suggest something a little bigger.

10. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

A 204 can make a very accurate 300 yard shot. But most states have a minimum calliber requirement for deer hunting.

11. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I have never seen a big game bullet for it and hope I never do.

12. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Maryland only has a energy restriction and it fits the bill and is perfectly legal here, if you are making only head shots and keeping the distance to 100 yards or so... the DNR officer won't write you a ticket...

13. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

They will arrest in most of the northern states...

14. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

ok then, he won't arrest you... but it is still legal to hunt with a 204 in MD...

15. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

this is a sometimes touchy subject.

Yes, it could do it but it is really not the proper cartridge for this type game. A far better choice would be my .243 Winchester.

It is better not to wound and lose a deer with a smaller caliber.

16. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator Staff Member

No county, city, state or country has laws telling you of all the things you shouldn't/can't do. This is what logic and common sense are for. There are people who will use varmint rounds on larger game, simply because they are selfish and think it works "just fine". No amount of reasoning from published sources, experts, or anything else will keep them from it. Many experienced hunters referred to those who wounded game through selfishness as slobs.

17. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Never said I would... but it is legal... now I do hunt deer with my 223 WSSM, does that make me a slob????

18. jaeger

jaeger G&G Enthusiast

Dont think we should result to name calling here fellas. If the suggested caliber is legal it comes down to ethics if one chooses to use it. I will be honest I have used a .223 and took a deer in TX. There was no extended tracking or anything of that sort but I will not be doing it again. When we butchered the deer it was apparent that an inch in either direction and there wouldnt have been enough of a wound channel to take the deer down quickly. Would he have died, sure but after a little bit of a hike. Me personally I think I owe it to the animal to kill it as fast as possible.

19. FortyXDM

FortyXDM Super Moderator Staff Member

No 338 Rum, not at all. I said that many experienced hunters/writers/ and lifelong devotees of the sport consider it poor judgment and refer to those who use .22 rifles and .22 CF's as slobs.
    My feeling is this. First, virtually everyone I have ever known who has had honest field experience and killed a number of deer over the years, have almost always confessed to one or two poorly placed shots. This is the web, so we all try to take folks at face value, however, while many people have posted about a miss placed shot with say an 06, or whatever, NOT one of the many who have killed many many deer (thousands?) with .22 cal CF rifles, have ever had anything less than a "clean" kill. I started hunting in 1955 and have hunted since. I am still waiting for the first "poorly placed" shot with a .22 cal. Off the mark shots with a light bullet are exponentially worse than heavier bullets. That is a fact. However, If someone has a steady hand, everything dialed in like a pro, and is very very certain that the bullet will be placed where they aim, fine.....they are the exception and would compromise a very very small percentage of those who hunt. So, my problem is this, if you are going to use a controversial caliber, yet know that you are fully capable.................why not do it and be quiet about it. Sure we all have our "rights", but is this a good policy to advertise for new folks getting started who won't have the same discipline that you have ? I don't think so. We hunters/shooters should NOT be one another's adversaries, we have plenty of those with the anti gun uninformed, peta, and the hard left cool aid drinkers. We should promote our heritage responsibly without inviting additional arguing points for those outside of our sport/right.

I tend to be conservative on this issue and believe strongly about being responsible for the things we as individuals do. Is this an unreasonable request ?

Tom

20. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

Everybody knows .270Win is the only "non-slob" deer rifle out there!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted