Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the deal, Had a Barnett Recruit recurve crossbow.Practiced with it about a week. Then used it for hunting turkey a couple times, took 1 turkey with it.Tried to use it for deer, but It was not trustworthy enough to take a shot over 25 yards on a deer with.Very noisy and slow.Plus the stock was cheap and the "adjustable" butt pad kept sliding back in, no matter how hard I tightened the screws. Took 16 inch aluminum arrows of an odd weight and instructions said not to use carbon ones, so had a hard time finding them.Got disgusted with it and traded it off.

Used to hunt long recurve bow (had a nice kentucky long bow at one time) at 10 to 15 yards from a tree stand years ago, but I just can hold a draw very long without shaking any more.I will be hunting Deer from a blind next year as I am done with stands.Stands are no longer a safe option for me(equilibrium problem plus not very mobile anymore).:(
The place I am setting up next year the deer could come out anywhere from 5 yards to 50 yards.

Now maybee looking to pick up a slightly used crossbow, after this years bow season is over.
This is my limited experience with a crossbow. And though I have a blind, and have taken deer from a blind, with a shotgun,do not know much about blind hunting ,except for duck.
Before I go sinking real money in a set up (like selling a few other things and then spending 500 or 600 on one), I need an education.:confused:

Your mission, If you choose to accept, would be to keep me from making another bad purchase, by educating me on the larger game crossbows, and blind hunting with them.;):cool:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,575 Posts
I wish I knew more about cross bows. I’ve been thinking of getting into one sometime.

I do heartily agree on the ground blind being nice. I love mine. I give up a little bit of viewing area, but the safety and comfort factors out weigh it.

Following this, interested in seeing what folks have to say.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I just ordered a crossbow. Midway has them on clearance sale for about $200. (half price) I think it is a Carbon Express and shoots 20" carbon bolts. I used a friend's crossbow once (I think the same one I bought) didn't kill anything with it but was impressed with the accuracy. the only dis advantage I see with a cross bow is that they are slow to re-load and would be impossible to re-load in a tree stand. mine should arrive in a couple days.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
all I know about cross bows is they better be damn simple or I ain't interested.
the fancy clutches and anti-this and anti-that are just places for something to come loose and ruin your day.
I don't shoot bows any more but I follow some friends that still do and they all have an issue from time to time with their $2,000$ cross bows.
the company's are super quick to respond to the problems, but that don't help so much when your bow is cocked and locked and stuck like that 200 miles from home.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am kinda thinking, from what I have seen so far,that If it is under $300 new retail and is under 150 lb pull,or 325 fps, it is not good over about 30 yards on a deer for the average shooter. But over $600 is all bells and whistles, as far as real life white tail hunting goes.
Also people seem to think that compound crossbows, set up for 20 inch carbon fiber arrows are the Cat's Meow.
Can someone who has experience hunting deer from a blind , give me a ye or nay on this?:confused:

·
Wonderment :)
33,490 Posts
Moroco Mole: Sir; I know nothing :). I do like this review

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/tenpoint-wicked-ridge-invader-g3-compound-crossbow-review/
  • Crossbow: new, speed-inspired 4s cams shoot a blazing 360 feet-per second; narrow 15-inches wide; built for pin-point accuracy; one of the lightest crossbows on the market at only 6.3-pounds
  • Multi-Line scope: only 8.5-inches Long, this compact scope features fully coated 3x optics and three duplex crosshairs calibrated for 20-, 30-, and 40-yards and a fourth partial line for 50-yard shots
  • Quiver: Wicked ridge instant-detach 3-arrow quiver
  • Cocking mechanism: ACUdraw integrated self-retracting rope cocking device that reduces draw weight by 50%
  • Arrows: Three aluminum arrows with practice points
  • Read more

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
I would get a parker, Ten Point, Excalibur if you can afford it. I have a Horton 175lb, a Bear 150lb and a higher end Barnett. I would not buy the base model Barnetts and others as you only get what you are paying for. Mine are compound style. I have hunted with a crossbow for a little over 40 years as I had a permit for one before they were even legal here. I notice a big difference in pull, speed, sound etc.. in them. I use 20 and 22 inch bolts. My one son has a $1400 Excalibur and its a recurve limb. His is like 300lb pull though and have to use a back and shoulder harness to assist pulling it back. His uses only 16" bolts and about 125 grain broadheads. His is so much faster, flatter shooting and deadly. His shoots further with less drop than mine. I could not believe the difference. If you go out a lot and want one to last many years and deadly than I would get an Excalibur. I have shot whitetail and sika deer with mine. Don't go cheap or you will just get more disappointment.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would get a parker, Ten Point, Excalibur if you can afford it. I have a Horton 175lb, a Bear 150lb and a higher end Barnett. I would not buy the base model Barnetts and others as you only get what you are paying for. Mine are compound style. I have hunted with a crossbow for a little over 40 years as I had a permit for one before they were even legal here. I notice a big difference in pull, speed, sound etc.. in them. I use 20 and 22 inch bolts. My one son has a $1400 Excalibur and its a recurve limb. His is like 300lb pull though and have to use a back and shoulder harness to assist pulling it back. His uses only 16" bolts and about 125 grain broadheads. His is so much faster, flatter shooting and deadly. His shoots further with less drop than mine. I could not believe the difference. If you go out a lot and want one to last many years and deadly than I would get an Excalibur. I have shot whitetail and sika deer with mine. Don't go cheap or you will just get more disappointment.
Thanks for the personal real life info. That is what I am looking for.:usa2:
I need Proper education on this stuff, and honest opinions, like you just gave me.:cool:
I am probably looking at selling off some stuff and coming up with a bought $400, or working out a trade. I am done buying shiny over advertised junk.
So I am trying to learn what would be old enough to get used or pawned.But not so old that it would be outdated with parts unavailable, in 5 years.;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have a mid-range priced Barnett that my nephew traded me for doing some work on his car for him several years ago. He put a red dot sight on it and it seems to be accurate out to about 40 yards (6 inch groups) using 125 gr Muzzy fixed blade broad heads and aluminum shafts. If I recall correctly it's 150 lb pull.
I've taken one deer with it during early archery season from a tree stand. It was a through and through double lung, but was only about an 8 yard shot. (the bolt was still buried in the dirt about 4 inches after going though that buck)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm a little late to the party here Moroco, but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I've been crossbow hunting for only about 6 years now, but have enjoyed it greatly. I have taken 3 nice PA bucks, actually nicer than anything I've taken with a rifle. All three have been from a ground blind. My first year out I used a 16 ft ladder stand and missed two bucks, both of which I shot under. Most likely this was shooter error, but on any note I switched to a hand made, brushed in ground blind, with a shooting rail around three sides, a tree to my back, and no roof. I built it like a triangle and sit on a low stool. I had great success, and my dad also used the same blind and took a buck from it. I just get the bow up early to limit motion, and with it being cocked and ready for action you just wait for the right shot. I'm right at shoulder level with them which makes for a nice flight trajectory where you don't have to think about your arrow flight and aiming high so your through and through hits what you want.
As far as the crossbow, I have a Barnett Jackal. It is simple, and inexpensive. If I were to buy a new one, I like the Barnett Game Crusher for an inexpensive simple set up. But there are so many options out there, and much higher quality bows from what I use. Let us know how it all turns out.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Before it's pointed out on my above pick, that buck was quartered towards me, I hit behind the passenger side front shoulder exactly where I wanted to. I skimmed the lung on that side, went through the liver length wise, and the bolt came out the rear quarter held in by the fletchings only. You can see it sticking out. He wouldn't give me a nice shot, so I took what I had. My Next 3 bucks I had better shots, broad side double lung.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blind hunted this year. Borrowed my friend's bone collector. Did not get to use it though, as water levels in the area were high and limited deer traffic to my blind. I am planing on setting up another on the 50 acre, high side, of the property I hunt. I am going to have to get a john boat first,to get to it, as when the water is high,it is land and water locked.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
I picked up an old Horton Hunter crossbow for $50 quite a while ago. Killed a button buck with it from a tree stand at close range using a mechanical broadhead. The exit wound was scary !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts