Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys its me again I was wondering if I would be able to hunt whitetail deer with a 4/10 shot gun. thanks. happy hunting everyone.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you should try this in the big game section, but the .410 shotgun is an entirely inadequate firearm for deer. so much so that in many states it is illegal to use it.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Entirely inadequate might be a stretch. A .22LR would fall under that category.

Within range, the .41cal slug hitting a deer in the chest cavity should and will end its life quickly.

But, it's range is very short.

If that's all you have, then I would definitely try to hunt deer with it. Just make sure to be within 50 yards of the deer.

If you have money for a new rifle, then there are tons of options. I'd recommend the .243, .308, or 30-06.

EDIT: Any yeah, might be better off posting this in the big game section...deer are pretty big for Varmint :D

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
you should try this in the big game section, but the .410 shotgun is an entirely inadequate firearm for deer. so much so that in many states it is illegal to use it.
I dont know why they keep trying the .410.the .20ga doesnt recoil much more and it will do it at shorter ranges. sam.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,675 Posts
The .410 is illegal to use here in Illinois a slug only state. That said if it were legal and a shot was in "BOW"/"PISTOL" range, in the vitals, I'd take the shot. If your already limited to a shotgun, not much sense in using one that is a underpowered for the job. If it were the only shot gun I had and had to have a deer, I reckon I'd have to do a few side jobs to save for a used 12 or 20 of any of the reputable makers of fine firearms.

If one is wondering about using a .410 for S&G's and it's legal in the area (i think Ar-Kansas is?) keep the shots to the bread basket no more than 20-25 yards.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I shot a squirrel with a 410 slug and found the slug still in the carcass. Do not use a 410 for deer even if it is leagal as it is here in Indiana. Go with a 20 ga. if you want to use shotgun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts