Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would like some opinions of which rifle to get for Whitetail hunting in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I have a bum shoulder and I am maxed out on cortisone shots.

I am going to be purchasing a Saiga in .308. If accuracy is good, I will use it for deer occasionally. The reason for this is the price and low recoil with a decent round. I am also considering buying a Marlin 336SS and would like to know about recoil from a .30-30. Is it painless to shoot? I have used a Ruger in .243 and that was OK, not too punishing to the shoulder. Can anyone tell me if they consider it a "light" recoiling weapon/caliber.

All of my shots will be kept under 150yds. and I will be hunting in the forest.

Thanks,

N Mosher

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
long_gunr...I can relate to your shoulder problem concern since I, too, had rotator cuff surgery a few months before my schedule to go deer hunting a couple of years ago. But there's good news!

If you've done your shoulder rehab exercises properly, if you install a quality recoil pad on your gun, if you hold the gun snugly against your shoulder, etc. you should have no problem.

That year I went deer hunting using a Springfield 1903-A3 (30-06) rifle which had a steel butt plate so I put extra padding on my shoulder under my shirt. Didn't have any problem other than flinching with the sound of the percussion. After getting used to the recoil and sound, I realized that the impact wasn't hurting my shoulder.

Last year I used a Remington 700 in 30-06 with a recoil pad installed. Still...no pain occured from the recoil. Just the thought, though, of something hammering on my sore shoulder almost kept me from shooting that first year. Glad I tried it because there was no problem and now I'm looking forward to deer hunting again starting this November 13th.

Now...I can't speak for the .308 or .336 or .243 because I haven't shot any of those guns. I've only used 150 grain rounds in my 30-06's and they're no problem for sure.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Lefty is right on the 243 but your option for the 30-30 is good they are low recoil as well. if you want to save your shoulder look for a rifle with a lot of weight. The weight of the rifle will reduce the amount of felt recoil.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Yes, Shaun's right about the heavier gun reducing the recoil on your body. My Springfield 03A3 was considerably heavier and absorbed much of the impact instead of pounding on me. :nod: :right:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Forget the long guns's and go with a pistol. I have a 30-06 Encore that shoots rings around most rifles. Come on take the plunge, you'll never look back.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
As a Saiga 308 owner, I must say that the semi-auto action and other things make it extremely comfortable to shoot. I've generally hurt a lot worst from a 30-30. I'd recommend the wood stocked 22" barrel version.

It's an awesome gun good for many many things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oxford said:
long_gunr...I can relate to your shoulder problem concern since I, too, had rotator cuff surgery a few months before my schedule to go deer hunting a couple of years ago. But there's good news!

That year I went deer hunting using a Springfield 1903-A3 (30-06) rifle which had a steel butt plate so I put extra padding on my shoulder under my shirt. Didn't have any problem other than flinching with the sound of the percussion. After getting used to the recoil and sound, I realized that the impact wasn't hurting my shoulder.
Unfortunately, I used my cousin's 03-A3 a couple of months ago. I did hurt! I can take pain, in fact i went a long time without getting the cortisone shots and routinely engaged in 12ga. slugm shooting. What I would like to know is:
How hard does the .30-30 kick. Can anyone compare it to another round?

The .30-06 is out as well as the .270.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BattleRifleG3 said:
As a Saiga 308 owner, I must say that the semi-auto action and other things make it extremely comfortable to shoot. I've generally hurt a lot worst from a 30-30. I'd recommend the wood stocked 22" barrel version.

It's an awesome gun good for many many things.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have your saiga scoped? If so what kind of glass is on it? What kind of accuracy do you get with it? (realistic) What kind of hunting loads do you use in it?

Thanks again.

N Mosher

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,011 Posts
I have two thutty-thutties - a Marlin 336 and a Savage 340 bolt-action. They both can thump pretty good, especially with the 180 grainers - though nowhere near a .30-06 or even a bolt-action .308. Certainly more than a .223.
A very mild recoiling gun is the CETME in 7.62X51. It handles the .308 fine, if limited to 150 grain bullets. The action is such that recoil is a "long push" rather than a slam against your shoulder. It's a pleasure to shoot.
The SKS is another rifle that is hunting capable, with very mild recoil. My Yugo loves the Rem/UMC 123 grain ammo. You'd have to find soft-point or HP hunting ammo, or reload for it - but it too is a pleasure to shoot.
My shooting buddy had a serious Rotator injury years ago (a real horror story!), and the first rifle he shot later was his SKS.
A lot of folks down here like the softer recoil of the Remington 740/760 series semiautos in .243 - especially newer shooters and the ladies. Our deer run a bit small, so we don't need Magnums! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big Dog said:
A lot of folks down here like the softer recoil of the Remington 740/760 series semiautos in .243 - especially newer shooters and the ladies. Our deer run a bit small, so we don't need Magnums! :)
I considered an auto-loading Remington but I have heard that they are very picky as to loads used and must be kept pristinely clean in order to function reliably. I do clean my guns but I do not want to have to break out the picks and detail the action every single time I shoot it! Do you have information to the contrary?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I would get a good .260 remington or a 7mm-08. Fairly light recoil and decent power.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The 30-30 does not kick really hard, but it seems bad enough to me that I wouldn't want to shoot it with a bum shoulder. The .243 seems like it kicks less to me. This may be due to weight differences in guns or the bullet weight (100grain .243 verses ~150 grain 30-30). I think you may be on the right track with the Sagia. I saw a good deal on one at a gun show a couple months back - didn't buy it. Been kicking myself ever since.

I would suggest an auto like a Sagia or a Browning BAR (if you have a little extra money). I shoot my 30-06 BAR today. I perceive its recoil about the same as the 30-30. I think weight and a well fitting stock kind of even them out. I still wouldn't recommend to 06 in the BAR for you - still packs a little punch. A .243 in a BAR should be down-right pleasant. They also make the BAR in 25-06 which would have a little more punch on both ends. I don’t know how the .243 works on your northern Whitetails. I would avoid the Remington Auto - just a personal bias.

Couple other ideas to reduce recoil:
·Limbsaver recoil pad
·Mercury Recoil Reducer in the stock
·Browning BAR’s have an optional muzzle brake (BOSS) – Wear ear plugs
(even hunting)!!
·Stick with an Auto
·The heavier the gun the better
·The lighter the bullet the better
·Managed recoil ammo from Remington - If you already have a .270 or 30-06, this
may be just the thing! Check out their website
http://www.remington.com/ammo/centerfire/managed_recoil.htm

Of course you probably knew most of this, but just thought I would repeat it for the heck of it. Good Luck with the shoulder!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
long_gunr said:
Hi all,

I would like some opinions of which rifle to get for Whitetail hunting in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I have a bum shoulder and I am maxed out on cortisone shots.

I am going to be purchasing a Saiga in .308. If accuracy is good, I will use it for deer occasionally. The reason for this is the price and low recoil with a decent round. I am also considering buying a Marlin 336SS and would like to know about recoil from a .30-30. Is it painless to shoot? I have used a Ruger in .243 and that was OK, not too punishing to the shoulder. Can anyone tell me if they consider it a "light" recoiling weapon/caliber.

All of my shots will be kept under 150yds. and I will be hunting in the forest.

Thanks,

N Mosher
i know your pain, i had over an inch taken out of my collar bone after a car accident almost a year ago and the recoil of even a 243 causes the whiplash to come back for days. i don't know what your hunting laws are up there but my situation was fixed with a savage striker in 308 shooting a handgun like this i can get all the rifle accuracy out to 150- 200 yards with a rest of some sort(uncle mikes shooting sticks work realy well) and the felt recoil does not affect my neck back or shoulder.
i hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts