Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took a Tikka T3X .308 and a Marlin 336 .30-30 to a 100-yard range today. Hot as blazes, friends!

Nothing huge to report. The best part of the shoot was discovering that the ol’ Marlin is still submoa with the same box of ammo as last year.

The .308 was accurate enough for minute-of-deer.

The photo below shows three targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards. The first is an equivalency deer target that represents a deer at 100 yards. The 50 yard target is a box with a gridded target to sight in as needed. The 100 yarder is harder to see- it’s just the green top off of a Tupperware dish that’s the size of a deer’s boiler room.

Plant Road surface Land lot Asphalt Grass

This is a pic of the deer target with the different rifle caliber impacts noted. Any other holes are 9mm from a final double tap drill while waiting for the range to go cold.

Working animal Carnivore Organism Dog breed Terrestrial animal

This is a photo of the entire target. The red dot is pretty small even though it was only 25 yards away.

Sleeve Organism Fawn Adaptation Font

Gave the box with the grid targets to a guy and his son after the session because they forgot their targets. I forgot to get photos. The Tupperware lid had three .30 caliber holes (2-30/30, 1-308) right where they needed to be.

Honestly, in previous years, I’d have shot a lot more. With this ammo crunch, just proving zero had to suffice. The ammo both of these rifles like a lot- Federal Power-Shok- is pretty hard to find. With hunting season rolling up, it’s probably going to get even worse.

Had a literal blast today and hope the effort brings a full freezer.

·
Premium Member
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. The target gift thing was no biggie. Literally just a box with two splatter targets and a bunch of .30 cal holes. LOL

I just wish I’d have taken photos because of the excellent performance of the 30-30, and of the examples of adjustment with the .308.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
My tests on my new hand loaded deer loads went better than that.
I reloaded some 350 Legend rounds with 170 gr 35 caliber over 26.0 gr of H110 through my 18" barreled AR.

It shot patterns like this at 100 yds.

I know what gun I'm shooting for deer this season. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts