Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm going to start deer hunting (whitetail) and am pretty sure I'm going with a 30.06 . My main concern is price. I want to stay under 350. Blued barrel and synthetic stock is fine with me. However I do want to have it already mounted with a scope. I think the savages are nice for the price and that is what I'm leaning towards. I would appreciate you're imput.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Take a look at the Remington 700 synthetic. It would be an excellent deer gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I do like Ruger but don't have the money, and considering I won't be using it all that often I think the savage is the way to go, especially now I know they don't have any major issues in quality. I have had only bad luck with Remingtons though.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Savage is a good basic gun that can be upgraded bit by bit. I've seen some package guns by Winchester too. Consider also the Mossberg ATR.

But Savage is probably the best idea, with Remington 710 as one at least to consider. It is 0% interchangeable with anything out there except scopes, and is not upgradeable in the slightest, but it can be pretty accurate out of the box, and it is extremely rugged, far more than Savage. That said, Savage is insanely accurate and offers many good options at a great price. Pick what you like. I have a Savage. I had a Rem 710 and can still speak well of it.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Am I reading LD's site wrong but "new 2004 models"?????

Are the prices 2004 prices too?

·
Registered
157 Posts
CrazyMudder - I'm new to deer hunting this year, too. Even in the $600 and under price range a lot of people have had great things to say about the Savage... enough to make me buy one!

m

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Savage will do just fine. I seldom disagree with BRG3, but I think I must here. I would avoid the Remington 710. However, the remington 700 and the new model SPS are great guns that are close to your price range.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Rem 710 is a pretty narrow purpose gun. It's easy for it not to meet your needs. And there have been problems. It just has a few good qualities people often overlook. But there are plenty of other fine options among other guns.

I think we can generally all agree that the Savage kicks butt, especially for the price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts