Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else here tune up for deer season by hunting wood chicks or gophers with their deer guns? When I was just starting deer hunting and missed as real deer my dad told me if you want to get to be a better game shot to get more familiar with your gun. Come sum.er I started hunting woodchuck with a 20 gauge Ithica deerslayer with slugs. I got better at stalking and shooting. Been doing it for 50 years now. Now I use larger caliber rifles. If you can hit a woodchuck at 200 yards a deer is a piece of cake. Been using an open sighted ma user 7x57 this summer. Longest shot has been 175 yards but I think I am ready. I also use same ammo I use for deer.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Just shoot. I found once I was at the range working loads for 4 cailbers and shooting pistol comps I got good there for a bit!

I could pull off standing open sight 22rm kill shots on our local feral rabbit population, and well other things.

I knew my rifles and had a solid working knowledge of distance. Dead Eye Dick, is a local colloquium.

A year, no way less, after I stopped I couldn't hit a bull on the arse with a banjo.

It's all about practice.

·
<------------<<<-
4,522 Posts
I used my bow for gophers in my grandparents’ pasture. They’re about the size of a gray squirrel, but without the tail. My uncle swears I made a hit at 50 yards, but I for sure made it out to 40.

As far as my rifles, I’ve never varmint hunted with them, but I used to spend a lot of time at the range with them and others. That was enough, and breaking out the pellet gun from time to time helps keep the muscle memory.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
i go shoot ground squirrels with whatever catches my eye that morning.
8 mauser,, 45-70, 375 winchester, 22LR, my 0-6, AR-15, 30-30 or whatever.
if you can hit a 1-1/2" wide by 3" tall animal with one of those at 150-200yds. a deer at 200 is easy peasey.

a rock chuck has to piss me off pretty good for me to break out the 243, or 25-06 with an actual varmint load.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I used my bow for gophers in my grandparents’ pasture. They’re about the size of a gray squirrel, but without the tail. My uncle swears I made a hit at 50 yards, but I for sure made it out to 40.

As far as my rifles, I’ve never varmint hunted with them, but I used to spend a lot of time at the range with them and others. That was enough, and breaking out the pellet gun from time to time helps keep the muscle memory.
If you are hitting gophers with a bow you are sure better than most of us. Keep up the good work.
i go shoot ground squirrels with whatever catches my eye that morning.
8 mauser,, 45-70, 375 winchester, 22LR, my 0-6, AR-15, 30-30 or whatever.
if you can hit a 1-1/2" wide by 3" tall animal with one of those at 150-200yds. a deer at 200 is easy peasey.

a rock chuck has to piss me off pretty good for me to break out the 243, or 25-06 with an actual varmint load.
lol. I now only hunt big deer. They are much easier to see and to hit. I cant shoot at my house, but i really need to try that 45-70 on gophers.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I've used a 243 and a 30-06 to hunt groundhogs. I shoot enough paper to stay good enough to kill deer at the ranges I hunt, well shoot deer, I don't really hunt. Sitting in a lawn chair in the driveway and waiting on them to cross the field isn't really hunting. The best shot I made though was 164 paces on a crow with my 03A3 using peep sights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used a 243 and a 30-06 to hunt groundhogs. I shoot enough paper to stay good enough to kill deer at the ranges I hunt, well shoot deer, I don't really hunt. Sitting in a lawn chair in the driveway and waiting on them to cross the field isn't really hunting. The best shot I made though was 164 paces on a crow with my 03A3 using peep sights.
Shooting paper from a bench is a poor substitute for shooting from field positions, as well as not getting any stalking experience. But if it works ok for you just do it. I take 2-4 deer each year to feed my family for a year so practice is paramount to a full freezer or buying expensive meat at the supermarket. I realize not everyone relys on venison, so if what you are doing what works for you just do it and good hunting.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Shooting paper from a bench is a poor substitute for shooting from field positions, as well as not getting any stalking experience. But if it works ok for you just do it. I take 2-4 deer each year to feed my family for a year so practice is paramount to a full freezer or buying expensive meat at the supermarket. I realize not everyone relys on venison, so if what you are doing what works for you just do it and good hunting.
No one ever said I was shooting from a bench

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I don't hunt anything but deer with my deer gun because all I have to hunt around here is squirrel & I'm not going to have much left after hitting one with a 180gr slug from a 350 Legend. But I do refamiliarize myself with the gun by shooting around 50 rounds or so at targets.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Enlighten me. One should never assume.
After the rifle in question has been sighted in at the bench, I'll go out in the yard or field at varying distances and shoot sitting, kneeling, prone, and from the lawn chair. I also shoot a little off hand. I don't always have to kill something, but shooting at paper like this lets me know what I should or shouldn't be doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After the rifle in question has been sighted in at the bench, I'll go out in the yard or field at varying distances and shoot sitting, kneeling, prone, and from the lawn chair. I also shoot a little off hand. I don't always have to kill something, but shooting at paper like this lets me know what I should or shouldn't be doing.
Doctor tells me I need new knees so I think I will try your way. I can’t traipse as far as I used to. Thank you for the tip.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts