Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually it came on Wednesday. But school fell in the way of that (Being the grade A student I am and the two test I had to take). So tomorrow marks the opening day for me. My dad has already shot a deer, but found that it was very old and very very sick. He said he had spotted a very nice whitetail in our area with droptines. Looking forward to tomorrow, I've had this itch all day. I'll report back in tomorrow night when the hunt is over for the day. Hopefully that new scope of mine (Bushnell 5x15x40 Elite) will bring me a new advantage. Well cya all.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
Good luck!

On day 5 of the split season. This weekend left. Then through mid Jan for the rest of bow. First gun hunt since leaving AZ in 94. Taking it's toll on me. The consecutive days of getting up early and hunting all day taking toll on almost 40 year old body. I need more activity, sitting not good, at least all day long. Shoveled old firebrick today for break. Got muscles loosened up. Lactic acid is hellll!

Had Coyote sneak up behind ground blind, could hear but not see. Almost shot .357 through tent like blind material. Little smurfs running around prior to sundown advised not to, tent material would repel bite long enough to beat coy dog over head with .50 cal TC Hawken. Listened to little smurfs.

If I could spell halucenagens these would be what I see after 10 hours looking at the same piece of ground. Did I mention duck hunting rocks?

Decided not to smoke turkey (triptophan, S.P.?) will smoke chicken for lunch tomorrow. If I get a deer your all welcome to dinner. Hope your not hungry. :) Welp, going to drag my sorry butt to the rack. Wait a few hours for the annoying sound of the alarm clock from helll to wake me up.

MAN! I love deer hunting!

B/R
Jerry

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Hey steel_warrior1 and Jerry...that's what this is all about. All the anticipation and planning is over now and it's time for the "hunt." Jerry...I know what you mean by the long stretches sitting still. Gets to be too long at times. I usually take a break midmorning and walk back to camp. That loosens me up, especially carrying a loaded backpack and rifle. But after an hour I'm ready to head back out fully expecting to see a big buck as soon as I hit the woods again.

So it's Lactic acid? Hey, I thought it was just lead in my butt. :nod: ;)

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Hey...that's what my dad used to say when I moved too slowly! :hmmm: :nod: :D

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
He raised me with the kick of his boot. Those were the days when discipline wasn't held back, whether needed or not. :nod: :D

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Welllllll... he would except that he's been gone since 1980 at the age of 69. :nod: Hey...I'll be 67 this coming Wednesday. Better than the alternative, I suppose.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hunting report:
No luck today. My dad got a 3 by 4 with a massive body to it. I got out to the spot at 7 a.m. and suprised to barely be able to see a deer out there. It was a buck, but I by the time the sun reached over the hill, he was long gone. Chewed out some hunters, loads of fun. And then headed for town for a nap. Got out there at 2 and did chores. After chores I went out to the same spot. I ended up with 17 does walking around. The thing that sucked was that the cows got behind me and scared the piss out of me. Ever had something walking behind you and you don't know what it is? Not a good feeling. After realizing it's the cows, I calmed down a little bit. They ended up circling me and finely my own cow ended up charging me. Didn't know what to think, me laying there is camo. But I ended up blending right in with the cows and made for one smooth get away from the does so I didn't scare them. Heading out tomorrow for more fun. Over and out.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,839 Posts
"Ever had something walking behind you and you don't know what it is?"

All the time, all the time. Still gives me the heebee Jeebies.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I headed out to the same place again this morning. Took a different route to fool the cows, but that plan failed. They were right there in no time and in the same pissy mood. So I ended up in the middle of a cattle ring watching the deer below on our corn field. After awile I sat on the bank and the cattle eventually left. Ended up seeing the same thing, doe. There was 2 bucks in the pack, both 4 pointers. One had its right antler broken and laying over the left. Looked like he had been bleeding from it for awile. So after freezing my butt off for 2 and a half hours I decided to make like a hockey player and get the puck out of there. The same luck with the rest of the family. So went back into town at 12 and took another nap. It was raining when I woke up so no go on a return visit. Guess I'll have to wait until a free day after school. Over and out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts