Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With all this dicusson over caliber, and MV, I gotta ask, how long of a shot do you normally take in your neck of the woods? This is bordering on BS!!!!!! What species of deer are you hunting? With 17 subspecies of whitetails, an unknown number of subspecies of blacktails, and 8 subspecies of Mule deer, where are you on the map? Come on now? Factor in the terrain and ambient temp as well! Kiss my grits! Factor in caribou, moose, and elk as part of the deer family, and your grandest illusion is but a fleeting blip! I get into position, I wait, AND if I am lucky, I shoot one of the many subspecies of deer! And the caliber matters most? I have witnessed an Alaskan/Yukon moose dropped with a single shot to the brain with a .22lr by a 77 year old native lady! I have seen a running Virginianus.virginianus take 2 loads of 000 buck and keep movng! How about you specify? I am willing! Are you? I have read my post, and itsounds "A BIT" caustic, LOL! But come on! Tell me your shot with your rifle was different

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
THAT LOOKS PRETTY REAL TO ME.

yesterday i made a 570 yard running nutshot on a 72 point buck muley/caribou hybrid

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
POW! right in the testes....

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I hate hunting with slug guns but i have to...unless i use muzzle loader. My longest shot is about 100 to 150, that is pushing it with a slug gun. with my muzzle loader it is much easier. i live in OH and most people push the woods and run the deer because we just have a lot of farm field and wood lots spaced out. shots are typically under 75 yards with slug guns. I don't like this method too well, hitting a deer that is scared and haulin A$$ is not that easy. some slow pushes work great but a lot of people around here are crazy. too be honest with you i don't like deer hunting that much around here. Anyway, sorry to be off topic lol but we shoot about 100 yds max with slug guns

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love hunting with my slug guns. I use a mossberg 500 20 guage that im comfortable shooting at 150. Same with my remington 870 20 guage. Anyway point blank to 150yds with slug guns

·
Registered
847 Posts
End of barrel to.......................
VERY heavy native bush to wide open tussock country.

Must be a good centre fire as both types of country can be seen in the one day, hell in one hour.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I will be realistic, I have never had to shoot a deer farther than 200 yards. And 99% of my shots are 100 yards or less.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well to be realistic I would have to say where I hunt the longest shot I have ever taken is about 150yds and that was just because it was the last day of the season and I didnt have any meat in the freezer. But I normally dont like to shoot over 100 or even 75. I like them close.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This one was dropped with a shot between his eye and his ear just inside a hundred yards. Bullet penetrated his brain killing him instantly. Notice how the right eye is glowing red while the left one is the normal green.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Most of my deer rifles are sighted in for MPBR to about 200yds(+/- 1.5-2") for most calibers. Most deer sightings are 50-200yds. Most shots are 50-100yds. Most deer shot (by all hunters) on the properties I normally hunt for eastern whitetails could be accomplished with an iron sighted 30/30, which I never use...lol.

·
Registered
324 Posts
.30-06 shots are from 20-210 yard in nc dont really have much room but missed a few deer with a shotgun so dont really rely on them rather use a rifle.
garrett

·
Registered
129 Posts
You guys in the east, south and midwest have completely different hunting conditions than we do in the west. MOST hunters over estimate the distance. Range finders have turned a lot of 300 yd. shots into 125yd realities. I've seen shots from 10 yds to 400 yds. There is no reason you cant make a 400 yd. shot with todays rifles, scopes and ammo. It just takes practice.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have never taken a deer over 20 yards away. They are dumb ass animals. I used a 7mm and blew his heart to peices. Also didnt need to cut the throat because the wound bled em out (I did it ant way no blood).

·
Registered
142 Posts
My current hunting situation would limit my shots to 150 max, and most well under 100. I currently use a .280Rem or 30-06 most of the time. In my hunting career I've taken shots from close enough to almost touch the deer with the end of the bbl, out to one at a measured 435yds with my .280, and one at a measured 310yds with a .243. I have too many to count between 100 and 300yds mostly with a .280, but have used a 7mmRM, .338WM, and 300WM in addition to the others mentioned. I site all those mentioned at 2" high at 100 yards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts