Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While calling coyote today I called a nice buck in which isnt unusual as a lot of animals come to a distress call.When he started walking in he would stop and stamp his foot about a minute apart.I have often seen both doe and buck and even fawn do this and used to think it was a warning but now I wonder if they arent trying to get another deer to come out.Like to hear some opinions on what you think they are doing.As usual after he had stamped several times and got no response he ran off.They usually do. sam.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When they stomp they are usually looking directly at at the threat which may be an aggresive warning like you said.If the threat doesn't scare off, it could possibly be an effort to cause a predator to make his move, which they are ready for.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
During Rut, the females will Bleet to call in a Buck, and the sound is like a rabbit squealing...Eeerily similar sound. I wonder if he thought you were a horney Doe, and he was stomping to let the doe know he was there, and maybe get her to come out of hiding to him.
Bucks do some weird stomping and playing when in rut to attract a mate.
Rich

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MM:Thats a thought.I would almost bet he was after a doe.Might try a varmint call during rut next year. sam.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
They do that to get you to move or react...because there not certain where and what it is.
When your in a Deers turf and your sitting on the ground lets say with your back up against a tree.
If the Deer notices something different and is looking at you it see's something unusaual it will do that to get the object to move or it's attention.
It's something they do when they detect something out of the norm...A.H

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
they do that to get you to react, usually its because they know something is not quite right and are letting you know that

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have also read that they do it to send a vibration thru the ground as a warning to other deer of danger.Can't really buy that one though.I think more than anything it is a sure sign that you have been busted and they are aware of your presence.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I've seen does do that when they had a fawn in the area. I always assumed it was either a warning to the fawn or possibly a show of aggression to potential enemies.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really wonder about it.other animals do it.thats why they call rabbits thumpers.I've seen my wife do it and I knew that was an agressive warning. sam.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I really wonder about it.other animals do it.thats why they call rabbits thumpers.I've seen my wife do it and I knew that was an agressive warning. sam.
Yeah, when my wife stamps her foot, I pretend to be dead and she eventually leaves.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You guys are too funny.Come to think of it, the wife has stomped her foot at me a time or two, which is always follwed by some loud vocal sounds.Kind of like a deer blowing.

·
Registered
271 Posts
great now next season during the rut, sam's wife will be stomping both feet, and she see's him leaveing wearing her best nightie, her doe in heat, and carrieing a varmint call. She will believe him to be drunk, confused, and never believe that he is looking for a buck. Though she may belive he is looking for a two legged fox

·
Registered
176 Posts
The australian wife has been known to charge unprovoked and then she usually proceeds to stamp my ass as a sign of disatisfaction with something I may have done or said or something I didnt say or do,very unpredictable animal is the common wife,In my humble opinion they should be classified in the dangerous game category.
:)Regards.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
All too funny! My 'Ol B'Mogo does not stamp her foot. She just wheels and charges! Fortunately, I can still throw her 2 outta 3 times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts