Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousins wife calls me about 2 hours before I have to go to work today and tells me there is a deer caught in the chicken wire around her garden. I drove over there and sure as hell there was about a 80 lb doe caught in the fence bleeding badly. I asked her to get me one of his shotguns. she told me the safe was locked and he had the keys. So the only thing I had was an old stevens savage 84d .22 in my truck. I thought for about 10 mins then shot it in the head. First shot did not kill it, second put it down. Anyway for anyone that says "you could kill a deer with a .22 with proper shot placement"................uh go for it ill use a .308

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
A lot of deer have been taken with a 22lr, it's just not legal. Most states require a 6mm or larger. Taking a animal out of season, for any reason well land your butt in jail here in Orygun. I don't think I would be posting on the net about it. IMHO, illegal hunting is just more ammo for the anti-gunners.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I understand that the deer was probably going to die regardless if you shot it or not, but you probably should have called a game warden to end its life.

Anyway, yeah, the .22 has taken plenty of deer, but I wouldn't even attempt to kill a deer with one, unless I was starving.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
22lr on deer is illegal. Glad you could end her suffering though. Game Warden was the one to call, but it probably would've taken him an hour to get there!

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
A lot of deer have been taken with a 22lr, it's just not legal. Most states require a 6mm or larger. Taking a animal out of season, for any reason well land your butt in jail here in Orygun. I don't think I would be posting on the net about it. IMHO, illegal hunting is just more ammo for the anti-gunners.
no!
he is ending the suffering of a living thing.
that aint poaching buddy!

if your dog broke it's back would you want me to get a cold one ,sit back and watch?

and dont tell me "oh thats different" because it's not.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Wild game are different then pets...If a game warden drove by and saw you shooting a deer stuck in a fence, he'd probably write you up for trapping and poaching. :ugh:

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
thats something i would be willing to do.
there is no difference between suffering and suffering
i cut an elks throat that was caught in a fence once.
the fish and game guy came by right after and thanked me.
if i had shot it i MIGHT have gotten a ticket for discharging a firearm on a public road.

but i doubt it.

that poor thing was so tangled up it couldnt move.
otherwise i wouldnt have been able to get close enough.

maine must have some real lulus for wardens.

·
Wonderment :)
33,588 Posts
swamp

billy; sir; I had the same experience while **** hunting; back in the dismal swamp.
Dogs had gone crazy on the deer; no biting allowed, just barking and yapping at the tangled up deer.
We tied the dogs back quite a ways; I went in to be the 'deers' hero.
No such luck. A mess.
Out of season I don't carry a firearm, nor will the fellows I hunt with. NOT GOOD.
I debated said a little prayer for the deer and myself and sailed in with a pocket knife to make it humane and as quickly as possible.
Hearing seeing an animal in distress; do the right thing.
Totally unconcerned with any Warden.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Boy ain't it sad to see a Deer get caught or tanggled in a fence !!! I was driveing home from work late one afternoon years ago and a Doe jumped a highway fence and then another Doe.
Somehow the 2nd. got one leg down in the fence WOW did that critter put on a show to get loose !!!
It got loose Praise the Lord !!! and it appeared to be O.K has it bounded away.
Sure causes a sick feeling to see something like that.
A.H

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
it's a crappy thing to have to do but i am glad i was there to do it.
otherwise it would have had a long ,painful,terrifying, slow death

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trust me if there was any other option I would have taken it. I could have called the warden but that would have taken way too much time

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
oh i beleive you.
i know how you felt.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,698 Posts
My cousins wife calls me about 2 hours before I have to go to work today and tells me there is a deer caught in the chicken wire around her garden. I drove over there and sure as hell there was about a 80 lb doe caught in the fence bleeding badly. I asked her to get me one of his shotguns. she told me the safe was locked and he had the keys. So the only thing I had was an old stevens savage 84d .22 in my truck. I thought for about 10 mins then shot it in the head. First shot did not kill it, second put it down. Anyway for anyone that says "you could kill a deer with a .22 with proper shot placement"................uh go for it ill use a .308
This is right, but we dont do that as hunters unless we have to to eat...... we go to the quick and humane kill. If we have no other choice we defer to the sub-calibers.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I doubt you would have had any problem with the game warden. perhaps you could have taken a picture of the animal traped in the fence just to back you up if questions where asked, but again i doubt you would or will have any problems.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I always call, just in case, the conservation officer we have here immediatly asks " if I can't get there quikly are you capable of putting it down yourself?" I am, of course. Now the Conservation Officer see's me at roadblocks and waves me by knowing I am a very ethical hunter. Given a different officer that didn't care about time elapsed I would put the animal down without a call, we have one of the good ones!

P.S. My brother-in-law puts down his cattle with a .22 (when harvesting for meat and at very close range ), no problem when they are relaxed. An animal that has been wounded or scared has, seemingly, superpowers at least that been my experience.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
When hunting, I prefer .243 or larger for hunting deer sized game. However, sometimes you just have to make due with what you have.

·
Premium Member
30,672 Posts
billy; sir; I had the same experience while **** hunting; back in the dismal swamp.
Dogs had gone crazy on the deer; no biting allowed, just barking and yapping at the tangled up deer.
We tied the dogs back quite a ways; I went in to be the 'deers' hero.
No such luck. A mess.
Out of season I don't carry a firearm, nor will the fellows I hunt with. NOT GOOD.
I debated said a little prayer for the deer and myself and sailed in with a pocket knife to make it humane and as quickly as possible.
Hearing seeing an animal in distress; do the right thing.
Totally unconcerned with any Warden.
is that place really called the dismal swamp?
that sounds like something J.R.R.TOLKIEN would have thought up!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I think you did good. If there was NO way to free it or if its injuries were so bad it would die slowly, then it was the right thing to do.
And the fact that you thought about it shows you thought about options or possibly the consequences.

·
Registered
108 Posts
yeah i would have done the same. we work and live on a farm an my experiaces are that a 22 will killl prety much anything

1 - 20 of 25 Posts