Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These sections get lots of good discussions about supplies, improvising, equipment, etc.

But how much thought do we give to US ?

WE are the most important and key part of the equation for any situation. OUR personal capabilities.

I think less thought is given to what happens when WE break ? Hearing goes downhill, can't see as well, night vision goes out, legs break, injuries, etc.

And as we age different conditions set in; these can range from cancer to cardiovascular to pulmonary to whatever.

So--being able to do things GIVEN physical limitations. I think THIS deserves ALOT of thought.

The WuFlu doing what it did dramatically decreased pulmonary capability. HOPEFULLY it'll (or a large portion of it) will come back in time and given physical therapy. But what if the lights were to go out tomorrow ? COULD I still drive 19 hours (yes), could I operate a light airplane (yes--albeit probably not legally), could I get into the farm (yes), could I maintain the grounds (maybe), could I climb the hill into the cabin (meh.......maybe), could I brush hog (not at present; maybe downline), could I do all the manual chores to restore water and harvest food if it was at the cabin site (probably not) etc. So as YOU change or things hit you it's probably worth some thought as to how you deal with the cards you have.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
I have recently started riding a bike after work. due to the nature of my job and even more so with working from home due to covid, It lends to a very sedentary lifestyle, which is bad for your health and body, even if your not gaining weight.

even just a 15-20 minute bike ride is waaaay better than not doing it. even walking around the neighborhood is better than not doing it. I realize this is a pretty low bar, but I also accept the reality that many Americans get no where near enough physical activity, much less exercise. so just encouraging folks to get out and move is mostly beneficial. once you get started doing something healthy, its easy to not only continue, but expand upon that. each week i can ride alittle farther or sprint alittle longer.

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
I sure need to get back to doing some exercise.
I've gotten much too lazy.
We took our kids to Urban Air yesterday after school. It is one of those places with all sorts of trampolines, and wall climbs and things. We played 15 minutes of trampoline dodgeball and were completely wiped out. My wife and I are both completely out of shape.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We took our kids to Urban Air yesterday after school. It is one of those places with all sorts of trampolines, and wall climbs and things. We played 15 minutes of trampoline dodgeball and were completely wiped out. My wife and I are both completely out of shape.
Well, at least in the recovery phase the physical therapists are kicking my azz at least 3 times a week. Those guys and gals really know how to work you.

·
The outer edge of civilization
14,575 Posts
I'm in less than any shape for strenuous work and I know it. But...I also know that I can do some every day, adding an extra few minutes each day. No,it's not the fastest way to get things done but it works. My problem is remembering not to try and power through a job to the point I'm useless for the following 3 days.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
someone has to plant the garden....

having said that,, i'm recuperating today from changing the battery on one of the 4 wheelers yesterday.
yeah,,, you wouldn't think...... 3hrs. [including 2 trips to the parts store] still!!,, what a PITA.

·
Super Moderator
11,718 Posts
Well, at least in the recovery phase the physical therapists are kicking my azz at least 3 times a week. Those guys and gals really know how to work you.
Yes they do. I had a full rotator cuff surgery 11 years ago, where they cut you open at the top. When you come out of surgery they put you in a sling with a velcro strip around your elbow and waist to keep the arm at your side for 6 weeks. while The gal that I rehabed with was like a drill instructor. They had me stand at around arms length from a wall, then reach out to about waist level and start finger walking up the wall as far as you can go. After climbing about five inches with the finger walk I was done. At one point I asked her if she had ANY sympathy at all. No smile....she just said no. Then asked me if it was ok if she used the term wuss. I tried to prove I was a tough guy with the sweat actually running from my hair. As I healed she simply asked for more. Helped me get full motion at 6 mos. Gal was tough....she was about 5'2 and maybe 105 .

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
I went from being a concrete mixer driver, to a over the road truck driver, back to being a concrete mixer driver. The over the road gig was so sedentary. Seated for 11 hr.s of driving. Next to no physical activity. I had bleeding sores on my ass from sitting almost 70 hours a week. That was not the worst of it. My arms and legs were losing muscle tone. I would return home for a week and I could barely lift a fifty pound sack of feed.
I could hardly do physical labor. When I returned to the concrete plant my physical activity returned. I am three years off the over the road gig . My muscle tone has returned. I feel better, stronger, also less stress and that's a lot of relief. I had a dot physical today and got a two year med card !
We all need a break now and then, just don't make it a lifestyle, it will kill you.

·
Less well known member
5,169 Posts
It took me nearly a year to get back my stamina after I had Covid last year. I do a fast walk for an hour every day now and am feeling like I'm back to normal. Fortunately I have good friends and neighbors that are physically active so it's easy to be doing something physical.

18 months ago I couldn't climb a flight of stairs without a break to catch my breath, I can run three miles now at a slow pace.

·
The outer edge of civilization
14,575 Posts
With all of the driving back and forth to see Mom and running around the hospital, I've realized I really need to get more active. The problem / excuse is I loathe exercising for the sake of exercising. I'd rather work on an outdoor project that needs doing where I can see progress.

I guess that's why I enjoy splitting wood. Even if I only spend 15 minutes at it, I feel like I've accomplished something.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
J.J. we never know what is going to be dealt to us each day we wake up. I always say a good day is when you wake up and you get your feet on the floor or ground. You went through and still recuperating from some severe stuff. Sometimes we need assistance after an injury, setback or getting older and health issues. This is where real friends come into the picture. I have always believed to help others and you will get it back in return some time. Some people also are too proud to accept or admit they could use some help or assistance. I am sure you have helped many others through your years. I have helped people throughout life with no expectance of anything in return. I also taught and expressed that to my three sons as they grew up. There are too many selfish people that just care about them and no one else. Hang in there and hopefully you will make a good comeback from your injuries.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Back in 2010-2011 I had 2 brain surgeries that knocked me out of my lifelong profession: dentistry. I was a mandatory couch potato for almost a year and lost a lot of muscle tone. I had always been active but once you are in your 60s it takes a long time to bounce back and I wasn't ready mentally or financially to retire. A little over a year ago the China virus hit me and knocked me back again. At the present I am doing auto parts delivery for Federated, and 40 hours a week wears me out , but life is good and I am thankful for what I have and each day the Good Lord gives me !!:):)

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
J.J. we never know what is going to be dealt to us each day we wake up. I always say a good day is when you wake up and you get your feet on the floor or ground. You went through and still recuperating from some severe stuff. Sometimes we need assistance after an injury, setback or getting older and health issues. This is where real friends come into the picture. I have always believed to help others and you will get it back in return some time. Some people also are too proud to accept or admit they could use some help or assistance. I am sure you have helped many others through your years. I have helped people throughout life with no expectance of anything in return. I also taught and expressed that to my three sons as they grew up. There are too many selfish people that just care about them and no one else. Hang in there and hopefully you will make a good comeback from your injuries.
Thanks Randy and that's a great way to look at things. Cherish every day as a blessing.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
Back in 2010-2011 I had 2 brain surgeries that knocked me out of my lifelong profession: dentistry. I was a mandatory couch potato for almost a year and lost a lot of muscle tone. I had always been active but once you are in your 60s it takes a long time to bounce back and I wasn't ready mentally or financially to retire. A little over a year ago the China virus hit me and knocked me back again. At the present I am doing auto parts delivery for Federated, and 40 hours a week wears me out , but life is good and I am thankful for what I have and each day the Good Lord gives me !!:):)
Amen John, keep on keeping on...

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
That's right JR. Never give up buddy.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
This is the very situation I look at a lot. I am wheelchair dependent (SCI). No getting better from it. Have been this way since 2005. Now 61, I have to game plan for getting things done so that I can achieve the day's work load without hurting myself or placing myself in a medical facility. My gimpness is ever evident, for an example, when getting the woodpile ready for winter. The huge rounds I can no longer pick up and place on the splitter. I have to sledge n wedge these into smaller quarters so I can manage them.

Anticipating the decline of my health (gimps DO NOT last very long), I need to configure heating systems and machine maintenance so as to be able to care for the home I will be retiring to in 2 years. All of this, and the thought of medical upkeep to prevent infections, skin sores, or lung ailments common with wheelers.

Very good topic for discussion - I am also open to any ideas this fine group of folks could send my way - very much appreciate it!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts