Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Premium Member
This is the very situation I look at a lot. I am wheelchair dependent (SCI). No getting better from it. Have been this way since 2005. Now 61, I have to game plan for getting things done so that I can achieve the day's work load without hurting myself or placing myself in a medical facility. My gimpness is ever evident, for an example, when getting the woodpile ready for winter. The huge rounds I can no longer pick up and place on the splitter. I have to sledge n wedge these into smaller quarters so I can manage them.

Anticipating the decline of my health (gimps DO NOT last very long), I need to configure heating systems and machine maintenance so as to be able to care for the home I will be retiring to in 2 years. All of this, and the thought of medical upkeep to prevent infections, skin sores, or lung ailments common with wheelers.

Very good topic for discussion - I am also open to any ideas this fine group of folks could send my way - very much appreciate it!!

Looking forward to meeting you when you make it this way, brother! Hopefully the local politics will swing back the other way by two years from now.

The outer edge of civilization
When it comes to splitting wood, we don't lift the big pieces. Instead we rent a splitter that tips to split vertically. That way all we have to do roll the bigger pieces over and push into place.

Premium Member
When it comes to splitting wood, we don't lift the big pieces. Instead we rent a splitter that tips to split vertically. That way all we have to do roll the bigger pieces over and push into place.
I saw my neighbor using one of those - need to get over to his house and take a gander at the rig.
Would be a big help with the larger blocks of wood.

Registered
After my open heart surgery 9 months ago. I had lost about 35 pounds - and a lot of that was muscle mass, along with fat. A very tough way to lose weight. I kept pushing to get back to some kind of shape. Mostly on a treadmill, figuring I needed my legs built back up to support everything else. With that and some other exercises, I made a lot of improvement. To the point where i could begin on heavy yard projects.
Truth be told, I hate exercising. But i don't mind exerting myself on yard projects, wood cutting and splitting, and all sorts of things. So I focused on projects and make sure to continue on the treadmill.
I am no body builder, but I feel way better than I did before and immediatly after the surgery. Now all I gotta do is figure out what to do about arthritis in my hands, I shot 12 rounds of heavy 44 magnum loads in my Blackhawk and felt like I broke my hands. They are hot loads but it didn't used to be quite so bad to fire them. I don't think exercise will fix that for me.
Oh well. I'm grateful that I didn't "wake up" with a toe tag after surgery and am able to do better than I did.

Registered
my exercise regime.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Automotive tire
the crab traps weigh between 35 - 50 lbs. each. I have a little over 1000 of them to throw around each week. during the off season I get flabby but come stone crab season I lose it.
keeping active, whether through hard physical labor or exercise, is in my opinion , the most important way to keep healthy.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts