Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After waiting almost a year for another model Commander-sized on back order, this Desert Eagle 1911C came in to a buddy’s gun shop.

It was love at first sight-

The quality of the bluing was what immediately caught my eye. The photo doesn’t do it justice. It’s deep and consistent.

Good sight picture with Kimber-style three dots. Will probably upgrade to tritium after the gun is proven.

Nice G10 grips and excellent checkering on both the back strap and front of grip.

Series 70 and a phenomenal trigger. Not a single, visible tool mark.

No barrel bushing and full length guide rod.

Hope to get time to take it to the range soon. Got a bag of various loose HPs and fmj to help ‘break it in’.

I traded a couple pistols for this 1911 after seeing the quality and researching it online. I probably lost a hundred or so on the trade, but didn’t know when the other Commander would get in- if ever.

After diving into the model even further, I’m really glad the trade was done.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Nice score bro, congrats :) . That's pretty sweet ...

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,674 Posts
Very nice looking pistol there jaison and I really hope you enjoy it ! Let us know how it works for you in shooting and carry. I WOULD suggest if you're used to carrying more of a striker fired system some extensive training and shooting (even for an expert-level gentleman such as yourself) in that one can lose the grip and muscle memory of engaging/disengaging the thumb safety as a sort of automatic thing.

The 1911s carry surprisingly well (they're a little heavy but the grip angle and flatness of them really enhances carry and feel--standard JM excellence in intuitive ergonomics).

Congratulations and enjoy !

·
Premium Member
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Much appreciation to all!

Thankfully, I’m familiar with the 1911 manual of arms. This beast will be carried condition 1, as St. Browning intended.

Was hoping to squeak out some range time today, but that looks to be a pipe dream at this point.

TXplt- You are spot on with the muscle memory/safety mention. I started out with a safety on the first carry weapon years ago. Flipping that thing off is ingrained, no matter if what I’m carrying has a safety or not.

Range report imminent, my friends. Just have to squeeze in a trip. Thanks again for all the gracious insights and comments!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
She's p-u-r-d-y, and I'd take her home for sure
Congratulations of the nice purchase.

·
Premium Member
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, 2 questions.
1) Have you shot it?
2) What is that lovely lady's name?
Brother, I’ve only had a few free hours since getting her and those have been taken up with the Great Quest for the Commonwealth’s Greatest Spring Gobbler. LOL

That being said, I’ve been dry fire and draw training just about every night (read- take it out of the box and look at it some more).

Don’t have a name, yet. Really only have one gun- a flintlock - named after my Mom.

By the way, just received some quality hunting books sent by a good friend. They should help with the turkey quest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts