Desert Survival

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by Blackrock, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Went out for a cruise waaaayy out south, Driving through some tall grass and brush and fetched up on a stump. Stalled the motor out, wouldn't restart so there I sat. Walked around till I got a cell signal and called my friend Eddy. He couldn't get off work till 3pm (1:30 then) so I found me a cool shady spot and took a nap. Meanwhile a young guy came by Eds shop so Ed sent him out to retrieve me WITH HIS SAMUARI. Man that is major bad to have your Jeep retrieved by a Sammy. But it all ended well. He was able to pull me off the stump and pull me forward to get it started again. Manual trannys are nice for that. So now I have to replace either the battery or the starter

I had plenty of arms,ammo,water and food for a day or more so I wasn't worried..I had a 12ga shotgun and .22 pistol, 50 rounds of 12ga and 100 rounds of .22LR. I aloways carry a pack when out boondocking with some canned rations, bottled water,snicker bars and other stuff. Closest water source was a windmill about 1.5 miles away. Weather was 90+deg and bright sunny. Found a cool shady spot, took a nap and just waited it out. Worst case I would have waiteed till sundown and walked the 7 miles back.

This was an unplanned event but I felt good being armed and haveing my pack with me. Proves that we never know when those things need to be close at hand.

2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Well done!

I would suggest adding a good defense caliber handgun to your "boondock" gear. If you ever do decide to hike out, it would be a bit more comforting than a .22 for quick response to threats. The .22 is great for food gathering, but not so much for protection.

I carry a .22 rifle and revolver, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a Ruger .44 Magnum revolver, with extra ammo and holsters for each in both of my "exploration" vehicles.

This is in addition to the Glock .45ACP that is my EDC on my person.

Some may say that's overkill (pun), but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

3. This was just one of those days I left the .45acp at home. Only threat I was worried about was snakes. Just felt good knowing I have pretty good load out in my pack.

4. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Yup!

Good job of preparedness.

Next time, take your .45, too. You don't want it to be lonely, do you? LOL

5. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Glad to here it worked out for you.
    Sound like YOU were prepared, but the Jeep was not.

A couple of suggestions.

Going off road means special equipment.

Skids plates, to protect oil pans, differentials and CV boots.
    Winch, or come a longs, snatch block, chains and pull straps.
    Hi Lift Jack, and dunnage, is a must.
    Also carry a 1 ton inner axle, and sledge. (anchor for winching)
    With the above equipment, you can get out of most situations.

On a lighter note.
    Quit sticking your tongue out, help will come quicker! (Avatar pic) LOL

6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    I think she looks HOT! LOL

And, yes, the extra gear you suggested would be good to take along if going very far out.

And LOTS of water.

I spent 5 years in that desert area, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and actually did Desert Survival training near Gila Bend, back in the 70s.

7. grizcty

LOL,

If the hair was a bit lighter color.
    She would look like "Lisa", from Ice Road Truckers!

Yep, did a bit of survival training with them too!
    Somewhere outside of Yuma, I think.

8. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

Indeed.

It's not QUITE as difficult to survive in the desert as we may think, particularly not the sparsely vegetated deserts of our South West, where dry creeks may be dug for water and cacti used for solar stills.

BUT, it's all about what you know. There IS water, and there ARE critters to eat, BUT you HAVE to know what to do, and NEVER panic. Being prepared, as you were, can also make the difference between life and death. OR sitting comfortably for a few hours, and suffering from dehydration and heat exhaustion.

9. BarryHalls

JUDGE!

The only threat I worry about on my early fall hunting trips (that I can't [or wouldn't want to] cure with my deer rifle) is snakes. For that, more than any other weapon, I want a Taurus Judge. 5 .410 bird shot on a quick draw. YES!

10. BarryHalls

Train styled jack, winch, shovel, and an ax can get you out of a LOT. I've been stuck up to the frame in mud with a 16,000lb mobile drill rig with nothing but a shovel and a hand saw. Luckily those things have hydraulic jacks, so we stuck logs under the jacks, jacked it up, filled in the ruts with dryish dirt and logs, and drove out.

logs, or a spare tire may be buried (easy to do in loose-dry sand) for use as a an anchor. In the case of logs, you can loop the cable around the logs, leaving the hook above the surface, pull yourself out, and then simply pull the cable through the dirt (bye bye safety latch! lol) to retrieve it. Adding a small log on the surface to keep the cable from pressing itself into the soil, burying the hook helps.

11. That harpy in my avatar is actually my best friends daughter. She calls me her mean uncle.

I was pretty well set for tools and as a last resort could have maybe got going again.
    I Had:
    tool kit
    shovel
    axe
    tow strap and a chain
    tarp
    old army blanket
    come along
    small hyd jack
    misc odds n ends
    All in a big tote where the rear seat goes in a 78' JeepCJ5

12. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

BR, ya had to get towed by a samuri... ugh... i would have drove the 100 miles to get you if ya needed a respectable vehicle to tug ya off that stump...LOL!!!

other wise glad ya got home ok. when the wife and i go out we take about six gallons of water besides the food and other stuff, to me living in the desert, water is the most important thing. food and shelter you can find/make just about anywhere but water is hard to come by.

i tote my water in one of those cyan colored water jugs from wally world.

13. grizcty

Hey mean Uncle,

Glad that you carry the tools.
    Too many folks depend on AAA, or roadside programs.
    To get their butts, out of trouble.
    The best roadside program, is worthless.
    If you cant call them!

14. Vel454

Vel454 G&G Newbie

1 word for your jeep - Lockers. (If you don't have them).

15. The Jeep is a buildup in progress as is my pack and tool load. I guess my point is that we can build up our survival packs,gear,tools and vehicles all we want. But until we actually put into practice what we preach, just having it stored in the closet or garage doesn't mean much.
    Did I learn something here? You bet I did.