Detachable Magazines

Discussion in 'SKS' started by Martin Rage, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Martin Rage

Martin Rage G&G Enthusiast

Are any of the "Hi-cap" Magazines worth while for the SKS or do they just cause problems?

2. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

the only reliable ones that I have found (that are still in production) are the Tapco 20 rd

3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The Tapco 20 rounds work well in my Norinco's too. not so good in my Mak 90 AK Though.

4. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Factory mags still work best, stick with those.

5. Rex_Lee

Rex_Lee G&G Regular

They work pretty good, but I wouldn't want to change one out in a fight. Pretty much consider that 30rds is all you've got. But that is still the equiv. of 3 reloads with a factory SKS mag.

6. Tapco are the best(IMO), but remember that if you swap out, you have to play the numbers game (see the legal sticky). On the other hand the Tapco is considered 3 U.S. Sec 922r compliant parts. So in short, if you plan to keep the original stock stick with the factory mag, Tapco stock then Tapco mag.

Oh yeah, dont even think about John Masen, the welds are crap. I good whack the wrong way and pachooiinkk, looked like a frickin snake in a can.

7. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I have 3 Tapcos that work 100% now. When I first got them, they were more like 95% but a little break in and they're good to go.

8. Martin Rage

Martin Rage G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. In the process of trying to make a nice rifle for my brother on the cheap. Was going to try to cycle out some SKS's until I find a good shooter (hoping to find 1 with 2moa at 100 yards might settle for 3) and then drop it in a bull pup.

9. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

2moa will be findable. With the SKS it's all about the rifles condition, not the country of origin. Get one that's unissued, or VG condition and you'll have a shooter. :)

If it's clean, pick it up and shake it. My Romy rattles alot. It's seen a lot of use but still a "fair" shooter, Maybe 3-3.5 moa. Shaking my Norinco, the only thing that rattles is the free-float firing pin. It's between VG and unissued condition, closer to unissued and is a better shooter by FAAAAR than the Romy. For general purposes, it shoots as well as my AR.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

I recently bought a Tapco 20 round for my Yugo,and it works perfect.
    But when I went to buy a 5 round Tapco,nobody has them any more and they don't know when more are coming in.
    So I decided to call Tapco myself and see what the problem was,and they told me that they were having problems with them and that they were going back to the drawing board to redesign them.They said that they expect to have the new design in about six months.

Well after thinking it over,I decided to try a 5 round ProMag brand from Midway,and the thing works flawlessly.So I ordered one more and plan on getting more soon before everybody else gets them all then they will be on back order forever.
    Jason M

11. I know what you mean about the Tapco 5 rounder, I scoured the internet and they are all gone. I purchased a tapco 5 round last year for $8 at midway, so the one I have works great. Some other vendors have the Zytel 5 Round for $25, supply and demand can be a bear sometimes.

For my Norinco I found a vendor who sells the old PolyTech hunter 5 rounder, it sits flush like the hunter model, made in China so no need to play 922r, I got 2 when they were on sale, supply is very limited "Your Source for Quality AK-47 & SKS Accessories" 100-051