Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put quick detachable rings on my Varmint rifle daytime scope. Now I can switch from daytime to thermal with ease. Sighted the daytime scope in this morning. With the price, and scarcity of ammo, I hoped I could get it done with few shots as possible.
First two shots were dead on left/right but 4” high at 200yds. I cranked the scope down and got it where I want it, 4 shots total.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You did good Tom with no waste of ammo. Like you say the ammo is scarce depending on Caliber and type etc.. You have it good on the paper. May I ask what caliber Tom.
.243. Little heavy for varmints but can use it on deer as well. My fur guy can stitch holes pretty well. With the ammo, it’s a 300yd gun

·
Premium Member
18,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it maintain zero pretty well when you switch back and forth between the regular scope and the thermal?
Yes. I tightened the Allen heads on the quick detach tabs. Really tight. Just make sure I check them regularly. There’s no slop. I try to call within 100-150yds anyway. Long shots are for younger guys. 😀

·
Premium Member
10,168 Posts
.243. Little heavy for varmints but can use it on deer as well. My fur guy can stitch holes pretty well. With the ammo, it’s a 300yd gun
243 Is a nice long range cartridge for sure. I just bought a smaller youth rifle in 243 for my grandsons to use for deer hunting next year. They have a farm they hunt on and over 100 acres and they are the only ones there. Farmer is dealing with crop damage so wants the herds reduced. Also a bunch of Yotes. Yeah the 243 is nice for varmints up to deer size game for sure

·
Premium Member
13,449 Posts
Yes. I tightened the Allen heads on the quick detach tabs. Really tight. Just make sure I check them regularly. There’s no slop. I try to call within 100-150yds anyway. Long shots are for younger guys. 😀
I apparently have trust issues. I don't think I could shoot at something after changing scopes without sighting in...again.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I killed an antelope at over 425 yards with a 243 with and 18 inch barrel. I killed a big whitetail at 300 yards and a mule deer, Boone and Crocket big, at less than 100 yards, all one shot kills. Actually killed about 25 with that gun and never had one get away, all one shot deals. The 243 is good for deer at about any range you would want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts