Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This convertible 22 LR / 22WMR 9 shot revolver is rumored to be coming out November 22nd with a MSRP of $320.00. Diamondback was bought out a few years ago by Taurus and it appears that Taurus has improved their products and customer service. Heritage has their 9 shot convertible at a much lower MSRP of $228.02 and they are also owned by Taurus. On the other end of the economic Spectrum Ruger offers a 6 shot convertible at MSRP of $759.00 or $839.00 it appears. Ruger also offers a Single 9 shot 22 WMR at $839.00 but they don't offer the convertible package for the 9 shot. They have a Single 10 that holds 10 Rds. of 22 LR at $839.00 MSRP but it isn't offered as a convertible either. Is there enough market share between those 2 extremes for a new make and model to justify another rim fire offering? We'll know in the not too distant future.
EDIT to add: The Diamondback Sidekick is double action and single action.

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
Illinois restricts zinc alloy firearms?
I think the City of Birmingham may have a "Saturday Night Special" law on the books, but no one has paid attention to it in 30 years.

The current alloy of choice is Zamak 3 which is a very different animal from the first gen Zamak of the cheap German and Spanish guns of the '50s, '60s and '70s. I think the Zamak a lot of those cheapos were made from was pretty close to what Matchbox cars are made from.

·
Premium Member
26,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am sitting here mulling over the idea of having one of my local FFL's preorder me one of those. But then I almost instantly thought, "what if in a couple months they offered it with a 6" barrel or maybe a limited edition with a Kershaw knife... LOL
So I think I've talked myself into waiting to see what initial responses are and whether they might quickly release more varieties.

·
Premium Member
11,300 Posts
Haha! We must have the same thoughts, Rex. There have been so many times I ‘almost’ got something, but decided to wait.

Then, that ‘something’ never came back at the right price, color, size, etc.

Hope you end up getting exactly what you want, Brother Texan.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Yes there is a market, because of the double action option and the second cylinder. That is a tricky design, to get double action power to set off the 22 mag. The High Standard made it work but most rimfires have a very hard DA trigger pull which causes problems. Taurus made the little J frame 94 series with a harsh trigger pull, but the Smith and Wesson model 651PD and others suffer the same issues but still sell.

Taurus made the 22/22 mag tracker with the extra magazine for years so this appears to be their attempt to make it look cowboy, I like that. Taurus Model 992 Tracker Revolver with Interchangeable 22 Long Rifle & 22 Magnum Cylinders (gunblast.com)

This gun will compete on several levels. The 22 mag pistol is really pretty weak with the shorter barrels but as we saw with the 31 round KelTec people flocked them. My 5.5 inch Single Six will get enough velocity to equal a 22lr rifle, not a lot but still pretty decent for small game. and snakes and turles and skunks and such. However, people like the round and we will buy it.. I have zero need for another 22 or 22 mag handgun, however, I will likely boy this one. It will become one of those hiking fishing guns that folks just take along for the outing. One box of 22 mag and one brick of 22.

These will be picked up like the Ruger Wrangler. One of the first complaints was not 22 mag version came along, this one will fill that void. Personally, I like the idea, with ammo cost like it is, this gun could actually appeal to lots of people, I would be one of those.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Wish they would have made it with al AL frame instead of zinc
I did not like the zinc guns, I have some that have never had any problem so I now do not care. Some of mine are the Firefly copy SIG-Sauer Mosquito and the Walther P22 . I have had that Walther about 20 years and about year 10 started shooting it suppressed. Lots of folks have shot it as it became my gun for people new to guns . Shooting suppressed it is a hoot for new shooters.

The P22 has caused some snakes and skunks to meet their demise with it, but it just keeps going. I have the GSG 1911-22, another zine gun that just keeps on going. Just got some of those grips like yours on your 1911, may put a set on this gun.. My newest zinc gun is the Glock 44. I do like the lighter weight because it looks like a Glock 19 but holds 19 22 long rifle and shoots like a house on fire. I carry it cross draw with the suppressor on when I ride my tractor hoping for rats and snakes. The zinc cuts the heft in half. I also have the Walther PPK/S-22 which has the zinc slide and really like it. Guess I have five of them now. Here is two of them. The top two, the bottom is a real gun, 380 Bond, James,
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Bond. Zinc is about the only way they can cheaply make handguns so as long as they work, and mine all have, they are fine by me. Notice they are all 22s. Not sure what the pressure ceiling might be. Later

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
They are not a pretty gun like my Single Six Stainless. But having the DA/SA option with the quick swing out cylinder just seems a little cool, especially in the 22 mag. When I am fishing I may carry a 22 but always a second pistol for defense. With the 22 mag, I might be able to get by with just one. We have a 9 round 22 now, and it can carry 4-5 rounds of snake shot and still have regular hollow points if I need to shoot something. We have 4 farm ponds with lots of snakes and turtles, they eat fish. This one is a fishing gun to me.

Wonder if they are making 9 round speed loaders for it? All real pistoleros have speed loaders for their 22s, right? Here is one I have for my 6 shot 22s, the HKS J-22 Next to my pocket Cresent.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
I think the City of Birmingham may have a "Saturday Night Special" law on the books, but no one has paid attention to it in 30 years.

The current alloy of choice is Zamak 3 which is a very different animal from the first gen Zamak of the cheap German and Spanish guns of the '50s, '60s and '70s. I think the Zamak a lot of those cheapos were made from was pretty close to what Matchbox cars are made from.
What do you have against MatchBox cars?😁

Okay seriously this thing might be on my list.
I just have to get one in my hands to get a feel for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts