close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did (are) you carrying today?

Discussion in 'CCW' started by shop tom, Dec 21, 2013.

1. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Evangelist

Yes, ....but.
    I've had one time over the last nearly 30 years where I was carrying, but did not draw, in a situation that was somewhat "grey" regarding use. It worked out alright.
    I've lost confidence in using my CCW at more than 10' or so without having a stray shot or two, and at that distance, I'm hoping if it's obvious I need to draw my weapon, I'll have time to use it.
    I have pretty good situational awareness, but an overdeveloped awareness of lawyers & prosecutors. I really, really hope I never have to use it.
    I'm much more comfortable with open carry & a more full-sized handgun.

Kmcdowell and neophyte like this.
  2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the problem with pepper spray is you'd eventually run into a dog like my last one.
    Haley loved hot peppers.
    Ghost Pepper, Scotch Bonnet, Habanero, good luck stopping her from eating them and your carrot too.
    if you sprayed her with pepper spray the next time she seen you she would run right after you looking for more.
    she wouldn't try to bite you or anything, but if she smelled the pepper spray, or a cookie, in your pocket she'd probably rip your pants.

3. I have it in my hand in my pocket.
    And I wear loose fitting pants with slash type pockets .
    From everything I've read
    A bad guy would already have his hands on me before I could react.
    There is no aiming
    Hold it to his body and empty the magazine

neophyte and MoDoc like this.
  4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

EWWWWWW! Glock!

animalspooker likes this.
  5. No, but purely because I still need to get my CCW and that lovely SIG P938 to carry concealed.

Kmcdowell, MoDoc and neophyte like this.
  6. I carried a rifle up here to the shed, fooled around putting a scope on it. I think I might have even got the cross hairs right. Maybe.

I'll carry it back down the house later.

MoDoc, neophyte and ncnascarlady like this.
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

MoDoc: Sir; in our group; we practice 3-5-7 "in a hurry" confidence building.
    Even the most gifted need practicing
    We are average at best: but: I'll put the worst; in our group; to save ours
    From the flap; to firing; hopefully with heads screwed on tight; practicing

I'm in hopes: I'll never need to draw in conflict
    I am comfortable knowing muscle memory is practiced
    I am confident: knowing; I do practice for muscle memory

big shrek, MoDoc and Ten Man like this.
  8. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Evangelist

I hear you neophyte. Up until a couple of years ago, I practiced with my CCW pretty much like I did with its bigger brothers. A LE nephew put me through some close/quick drills, and I was shocked at how much poorer I was doing with his timer stress & draw/shoot tasks. I'm a little better now, but also more aware of how rotten that may be in real life with innocent bystanders a potential. If I can get somewhat bigger, I may be able to pull off the Mossberg 500 as CCW? Or maybe I'll only wear wizard robes with big, open sleeves, and keep one of my full-size handguns in my mitts all the time?

neophyte likes this.
  9. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Cumbersome?? A pound of cane or prod??

19990256_1581150571935998_3215991444584298717_n.jpg

MoDoc and neophyte like this.
  10. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cumbersome Cumbersome has more than one definition.

Weight had nothing to do with my objection.

When I am exercising, I am not interested in carrying anything in my hands.

neophyte likes this.
  11. MoDoc

MoDoc G&G Evangelist

I frequently carry my Glock 17 under an untucked button-up shirt while walking the dog in my neighborhood, or in a couple of city parks. I've developed a sense of where it's sorta ok to carry with little thought to true concealment. I was quizzed about it once or twice from LE, but have not had any real grief about it. I only wear my CCW when going to more sensitive places. Am I experiencing "white privilege"?? [ I was asked to show ID once, no CC license, but my local government employee ID + DL - and that was in the time before Missouri liberalized their CC laws to include anyone who wanted to]...People in general over the years have been pleased to know I was carrying.

neophyte and big shrek like this.
  12. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr G&G Regular

Alaska
    As long as I'm allowed by the legal system and the job! They will allow YOU to carry, but I as an associate cannot!

neophyte likes this.
  13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Adopt Chinese philosophy...always carry SOME sort
    of hand-to-hand weapon.
    Well, at least it was their philosophy before Mau...
    which is why there are some extraordinary gung-fu weapons
    that are so much fun to learn and enjoy :)

My bag of tricks is absolutely HUGE :D

Rare-Qing-Dynasty-weapons-nine-steel-whip-collection-adornment.jpg tumblr_mac7q6afhB1rrjmgoo1_500.jpg meteor hammers.jpg

neophyte and Paper like this.
  14. I use a walking staff, it helps my knee a little on steep hills, and in case of dogs.

I live rural, most dogs aren't vicious but might run out to protect their property. I don't really want to kill a dog unless I have to, but so far just the sight of a stick and me yelling has deterred all dogs. I figure "stick first, gun last".