close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Did I do the Right thing, or over react?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, May 10, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

The other day I was sitting at the puter while the wife was running bath for the kids. The doorbell rang. I walked up looked out and did not recognize the person. I unlocked the door opened it slightly and stuck my head out. (they were 2 WM, late teens-early 20's-baggy clothes) As soon as I peered out one said smiling "Hi cousin Jeff; Uncle Ted dropped us off and is going to the store." I slammed the door immediately and locked it bc I did not know these guys.
    As I left the door I went to the bedroom to get the ol pistol in case these guys felt the need to hang around. As I did I saw them walk along side my unit and towards the back. I walked back to the LR and saw these guys hanging out at my nieghbor's back door(we live in condos thus the close proximity). I was just about to walk out and confront them when she emerged(the nieghbor). I watched closely with my pistol in my hand. I waited to see what was going on. I saw one guy reach to his pocket and pull out a sheet of paper. They talked for a minute and then left the nieghborhood. After they left I went to her door to find out what was going on.

As it turned out they were selling magazine subscriptions where they can win a trip. These groups have been here before as they are usually college kids and Yes I was a victim of this scam once which is why we do not buy from them now. She informed me that they were very wierd in the way they carried themselves. I explained the whole cousin thing they pulled on me. I told her I had watched them walk to her house and whiule she talked to them. I told her I was armed and I had waited to make sure these guys were not up to something (she knows I have a smal collection as she has seen me cleaning them before on the deck).

So did I over react or did I under react by not calling 911. My original impression was some punks having fun playing jokes on people but then I thought maybe drugs were involved. It really took me off guard as claiming to be a cousin would never appeal to me as being a sales pitch. Had I had my pistol in my hand while at the door, I am sure it would have made itself visible at this point.

I tried not to enflame the situation anymore than I had to. But I do realize if they had tried to hurt my neighbor I do not know if I would have been able to stop them in time. I hope some of you LEO's can give me some insight on my actions and maybe some hints on how to better react in a similar situation. Thanks.

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Sounds like you are a good neighbor, to me.

3. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

over reacting would have been to shoot the two. You seem to have been more than cautious. Just got your blood pumping!!!

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

good response

5. No over reaction I can see.
    you protected your family and watched over your nieghbor.
    A++ in my book.
    As a former LEO I would have liked to hear you called 911 to make it known they where in the area,but all in all I still give you an A++.
    GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I would sleep better if you were my neighbor!!

7. You did just fine Pha....^5.

I woulda asked them for some ID (while letting them see my 'piece' in my waistband...he he he he) from the company, or at least, a letter stating the selling they were doing was on the up and up. If they were representing someone they woulda had it (in fact, in some cities it's a law to notify the local law when you are selling in a certain area). If they had none then I woulda called 911 (after telling them I was to see them run, LOL).

But, you are a good neighbor....fer sure. And, as another said, I would be proud to have you as mine.

Once again......thanks for looking out for your neighbor. I wonder if she really knows how lucky she is to have someone like you next door?

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

YOU CAN MOVE NEXT TO ME ANYTIME PAL ! :target:

Last edited: May 10, 2002
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You did what I woulda done. Few people knocking on my door know I have a weapon within easy reach. If we could all move to the same place, we'd have a heck of a "neighborhood watch"!

10. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Excellent Job! Looks like everybody wants you as their neighbor. Good Shooting! Eric

11. wes

wes G&G Newbie

It's nice that some of us will help if need be. Thanks to all of you.

12. Hey Neighbor

Howdy Phacopsrana,

The house next door to mine is for sale, ya wanna move?

I would have done the same thing, but then called the PD and g
    filled out a report. I'da left the gun in hand bit out of the tale though.......

:right:

13. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Well, if that is the whole story, which I am sure it is, I would say you did fine. What made you think it was questionable in the first place?

-Tim

14. SPOCAHP ANAR

Crap-There goes the neighborhood

Its good to know that I have a place to go when the wife kicks me and the mosins out.

I did not call the cops due to the fact the guys did not appear to break any laws and the guys when the left her house they hit the main road on foot and started walking along those houses several hundred feet away. Yep she seemed to be relieved to know I was aware they were there and I actually startled her when I knocked on her door bc she thought they were coming back. (she had her front door open and is a single mom who was home alone) She's not very safety consious-Ikeep the doors here locked due to the kids being so young and like going outside.

I actually woke one morning at 6 am. came in the LR bc I heard the TV. Often the kids get up at night and lay down in the LR with the tv on. Anyway I look down the Hall and the door is wide open. I run to look outside see noone. I run get the wife and tell her the boy is missing. as I run back to the LR I see the boy curled up in a blanket by the couch. I bought a double cylinder lock for the door that day. Scared the HELL out of me.

15. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I didn't mean what made you think that situation was questionable....What I meant was, what made you think your reaction was questionable. :) I probably would have done the same, not calling the police, just being very cautious. Sorry for the confusion.

-Tim

16. SPOCAHP ANAR

Fishing

Tim I was hoping that I did not over react. The guys did not make any threatening moves toward me and left as I closed the door. I knew we have a lot of LEO on this board and I wanted to know if there was something I should have or have not done in this case.

The whole time this is going on the wife was asking me for towels and why I had the gun out, the son was asking who was at the door. I was really being unnerved at the moment. I am really glad that it was nothing.

17. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Ok, I got see what you mean now,- I just mis-read it a little. I thought you were looking back and thought you did something really wrong-that you regreted or thought was a bad move. Now I understand you were checking you made the right moves.

-Tim

18. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Two things. You probably should've called the cops afterwards. Your neighbor would've probably repeated whatever you told her to them, if they would've interviewed her, too. That's not much of a problem.

Your wife and child's responses to your actions concern me. Perhaps you should sit down with them and explain to them that when dad has a pistol out after talking to someone at the door, there might be a problem, and they should try and secure themselves and stay out of your way (and maybe grab the phone and be ready to call the cops), rather than ask a bunch of obviously stupid questions, and otherwise be distracting to your efforts. They don't need to know what's going on, they just need to know that something is wrong and to let you deal with it

19. SPOCAHP ANAR

Wife knows

The wife never heard them at the door due to being in the BR. She had called out for some towels and saw me wit the pistol. She just asked me what I was doing with it.

I explained to her later what had happened with the two guys after I talked with my neighbor. As for my son he was under my feet at the door. He didn't really bother me much while I was watching the guys out the window(too busy watching cartoons).

I think you're right. We may all need to sit down and discuss what to do in this situation. I need to get the wife out to the range to teach her how to shoot. ( so I can buy me er I mean her another gun)

20. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    It's weird I remembered theis post instantly when I had a similar situation today. I seen the guy going door to door, so I knew what was coming down. I met him at the door (cautiously) he started his saled pitch by saying he was there for dinner! I looked at him like a monkey doing a math problem, he repeated. I reckon I had that " this is not funny look" on my face and he explained why he was there. selling some cleaning product. after about 30 seconds of high pressure I kindly asked him to leave. this post was playing through my mind the whole time, it was sort of wierd.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Iv'e had a weapon out in my home 2 or 3 times in my life. one I felt bad, one i felt stupid, both I about could have craped my pants. to actually have the mechanics running through your mind as to how this could go down is a lot of info for the average person to process in seconds. we can only hope we choose correctly in the end.