Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a pump shotgun for several years now. I've always liked the Remington 870's. Now I understand Remington is history. What are the odds of getting one? Not good from what I've seen. What would be a good second choice for a home defense pump shotgun. I trust G&G members opinions more than what I get when Googling. :) Here's the 870 I wanted.

Reactions: neophyte and K75RT

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
870's can always be found used in most gun shops. They are easily built into whatever configuration of you like. I have four of them from a tricked out Trap gun to a fugly Express trunk monkey gun.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If you want one I have no doubt you can find a nice one on the consignment rack at your LGS. It might take a minute to find one in excellent condition, but they will show up. It seems like it's never a sellers market for used shotguns. There are probably some exceptions, but an 870 isn't a collectors item and they can be bought used relatively inexpensively. Just something to consider.

Both of my 870's were purchased used, are mechanically excellent, but needed some love on the exterior. I use the worst of the two as a defense shotgun, because it works and I won't cry should some ham-fisted idiot need to engrave an evidence tag number into it.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,064 Posts
Yes....lol.

But there'll be more.

I'm a mossy 500/590 kinda guy but I waited too long with my eye on a 590. So's I'll have to be satisfied with my custom tweaked 500 for the time being.

Don't worry--supply will catch up at some point at least with the hardware. Ammo might be awhile.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Looking for a used 20 gauge Wingmaster myself. I was at a LGS 2 weeks ago I usually don't frequent and they had two new 1100s priced at just under $1000. I would think distributors will still have some available. Keep checking for used Wingmasters as the shop had one but was in 16 gauge. With many guns scarce and more so being a sellers market hopefully more will be encouraged to sell. Hopefully the new owners start producing the good stuff but time will tell.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Wish I had kept my Benelli M4. I prefer buying new guns. Will have to check out the Mossberg's.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a mossberg fan as far as shotguns. Own a Mossberg 88 security/field combo 12 guage (1st gun purchased) that I lucked out on getting. Almost didn't go look @ what they had. Glad I did. The place I bought mine from had three shotguns in stock & one was gone by the time I got there. Noone's had anything in the way of shotguns @ all locally unless you want used from armslist & those are usually listings that are south of where I am (more than two hours away). Thing I worry about there is how well it has been cared for. Don't want something that has been treated worse than garbage & not worth anything @ all .... even for parts. I'm leary when it comes to buying from a pawn shop especially after some stories came out locally that several of the pawn shops had purchased & sold guns that were later found out to be stolen. No thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts