Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everybody,
i just picked up my new Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump action shotgun today. everything seemed in order with it, i loaded 2 shells into the magazine and ejected them through the reciever by pumping the gun.

afterwards, i was unable to load the magazine with a shell again. i've read the entire manual 3 or 4 times over now and it says nothing about having to do anything special to load shells into the magazine. can any of you help?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Take it back where you bought it.I'm not a 500 man but take your finger and push the follower and spring in the mag and see if it is free.Ive got a few 500,s and I notice you have to have the shell lined up with the mag to push it in. sam.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
if that stick plug is in there it may be under a coil in the magazine spring and wont let ya load the shells, see if you can work a wire down inside the magazine tube from the top and see if you can free the plug its bout as big around as a pencil and about 5 inches long

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, the breech was fully forward and locked. i actually took the wooden dowel out and still nothing. i was able to take it back to the store before they closed, and they had 2 other mossberg 500's doing the same exact thing.

long story short, they gave me one that didn't have any problems with the magazine loading then gave me a 10% refund, which equalled a free cleaning kit, earplugs, and $10 in my pocket.

going to shoot it tomorrow, using 2 3/4" birdshot.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
yes, the breech was fully forward and locked. i actually took the wooden dowel out and still nothing. i was able to take it back to the store before they closed, and they had 2 other mossberg 500's doing the same exact thing.

long story short, they gave me one that didn't have any problems with the magazine loading then gave me a 10% refund, which equalled a free cleaning kit, earplugs, and $10 in my pocket.

going to shoot it tomorrow, using 2 3/4" birdshot.
Some people are just born lucky.Glad you made out so good.hope it shoots good. sam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you, it shoots great. i'm extremely satisfied with it, except one thing i don't like about it. the longer barrel for hunting/skeet shooting has a modified choke, but is not removable. other than that, couldn't be happier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts