Dillon 1ST impressions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by billy, May 24, 2008.

1. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

OK i set it up for 45acp.
    and made 5 rnds.
    this thing is a piece of cake to operate.
    i only made 5 because i want to see how my 1911a1 likes this ammo.
    i did it as slowly as a human could so i could very carefully make sure everything was hunky dory.
    it was.
    i have never fired lead through this pistol but these rnds. feed through it just fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if these work well i am going to load up the other 995 bullets.
    there was a tiny amount of lead shaving.
    i think it may be inconsistency in the bullets.
    this camera takes some dandy pictures!:09:

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I'm very happy that Mr. Dillon is working out Great for you !
    Rich

3. billy

yes thank you o mighty moose!

4. dogman2

dogman2 Suspended

Iowa
    you might try belling a little more to stop the lead shaving.

5. billy

will do
    thanks

6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Looking good Calhoun !!

7. Yep, some fine looking reloads, the Dillon company has good stuff and will stand behind it. Looks like a 230 gr? should give someone or thing a good dose of lead posioning. lol :)

8. billy

yep it's a 230 gr.
    i figured that's the size bullet they were designed for in the 1st place so i might as well stick to it.

9. What recipe did you use Billy? Did you taper crimp those rounds as well, kind of looks like it from the pics?

And to a newbie in reloading, what is belling?

10. billy

i was using some 9mm pulled powder and i dont encourage others to experiment.
    belling the case is when you flare the casemouth ever so slightly so a bullet will seat in it properly.

on the 8th case the primer was hard to seat.
    it turns out it got in there sideways.
    does that happen often?
    but a full mag of my reloads fired without a hitch.

yes ,
    slight crimp.

11. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    dillon is as good as it gets.

12. Billy dont forget to paint it red. Hahahaha Good looking rounds.

13. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Very nice setup, billy! I'd be proud of that

14. Thanks much for the replies Billy.

How did your .45 like whatever recipe you used? I know you said they all fired without a hitch, but how accurate were they or rather how much more or less then say a factory load?

As for the belling question, after I'd asked it and logged off and gone out to the garage and worked some more on my reloading bench, I started reading my/the Speer Reloading Manual 13th Edition and like a dummy, forgot it has/had a glossary and found it in there. I knew it as flaring not belling. Again, thanks for the reply...

I forgot, I wanted to ask, how was the barrel from using the all lead bullets?

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  15. billy

i wanted to see if i was gonna die or not.
    accuracy later:bigeyes2:

16. billy

well,
    Ive crushed about 15 cases.
    put in maybe the same amount of sideways or mangled primers so i have to pry the case out of the shell plate.
    managed to spill powder all over the bench from forgetting to put a primer in because i was sidetracked by having to tear a case out of the plate because of the sideways primer.Dillon is closed and the adobe reader manual for my press on the Dillon site is damaged and cannot be opened.
    oh yeah
    i broke a part off of the connector body collar but luckily i had a spare.
    otherwise this is a walk in the park!
    3 hours
    75 rounds
    25 unusable rounds

i will get it but i have had to do this bullshit with every press ive owned because i am the only person i have ever seen load a round.

channel locks work well for crushing the case so i can pry it out
    :34:

17. Billy, reading your most recent post, and because I only just read this today because I just got the book "The ABC's of Reloading, 8th Edition", yesterday, really brings what I read and what you've said home.

Anyhow, this is what it said/ I read, and now I know why they say and print it. It's just not to take up space on the page. lolOh and only used CAPS to STRESS IMPORTANCY> lol

"RELOADING IS A SOLITARY ACTIVITY. DON'T TRY TO WATCH TELEVISION OR CHAT WITH FRIENDS WHILE YOU RELOAD. RELOADING IS A SIMPLE TASK REQUIRING CONCENTRATION AND PAYING ATTENTION TO DETAILS. CLOSE THE DOOR TO THE ROOM WHERE YOU RELOAD TO KEEP OTHERS OUT, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN." (I KNOW THAT ONE'S NOT AN ISSUE FOR YOU. YET! LOL)

"IF THERE'S AN INTERRUPTION, STOP AT THE COMPLETION OF THE NEXT OPERATION AND THEN DEAL WITH WHATEVER THE INTERRUPTION IS. iF THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE, BACK UP ONE STEP AND DO IT OVER."

"BECAUSE IT IS REPETITIVE, RELOADING CAN BECOME ROUTINE AND TEDIOUS. WHEN IT BECOMES BORING IS THE TIME TO TAKE A BREAK. NEVER RELOAD WHEN YOU ARE TIRED OR ILL, BECAUSE THIS DULLS YOUR CONCENTRATION."

Now I didn't print any of this to say that this is why this happened to you. Or did it? lol J/K. I only said/included it because as I said, I just read it and then reading the , well will say mishaps, that you said happened, it made me immediately think of the above.

I think out of all the things that can happen, and/or those mentioned in the books I've got/read, I'd take the ones you had over the others any day. Especially and obviously the worst one could do and would be that this particular book mentioned would be to accidentally throw in a double charge.

I look forward to hearing/getting your accuracy report/post. If I haven't mentioned it, or as you'll soon find out, I'm going to be reloading for the same round/caliber... Hope you let me in on any good ones you come up with or get Billy? lol

"

18. billy

i live alone and my reloading room has nothing in it but presses ,scales etc.
    no music/tv/people/pets /nothin.
    i always get stuck on things that someone with experience would spot in a second.
    it takes me days because there is no one to look at the task at hand in real life.
    if a guy doesnt know WTF he is doing it makes the learning curve much longer.
    i have never even SEEN one of these presses before.