Direct Impingement - How bad is it?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Sep 17, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I finally got a good enough look at a picture of an AR-15 bolt to figure out how that direct gas impingement works. And I generally agree with Klaus that a piston would be much better. But being as there are other advantages to the AR-15, I was wondering how bad the system really was, as in how much fouling do you get and what does it take to clean it?
    I expect an AR to be one of the last rifles I buy, and SHTF is last on my list of reasons for it.

Among my accessories would be a 300 Whisper upper, and maybe pistol caliber conversions.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2002
  2. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Can not say about military use , but for civilian use , 100 - 200 rounds is no problem .

I re-load & for full power loads , I have never ran enough rounds through it , at one time , that fouling caused a stoppage .

I once loaded some very light loads that were prone to stoppages after about a clip full . Spray the bolt carrier with lube & it would be good for another clip or two . This was my problem , not the rifle .

Clean the rifle after every trip to the range .

I have read of 1000 round tourture tests , but can not remember how much cleaning , if any , took place .

There a lot of other reliability issues with a semi-auto , and that is just one . Sometimes the biggest is mags . Good , used GI mags are still relitavely cheap & they do work . This is very important .

In the mean time , consider a M1 Garand through the CMP . They work & the 8 round clips are about $ .50 each . :)

.30-06 will really reach out and touch something . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

3. BattleRifleG3

Oh, I have a Garand. AR-15 is to be one of my LAST rifles.

4. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Both are fun to shoot , the AR being cheaper , maybe more accurate . Would recommend you get an AR .

If the SHTF , ammo avaliability will be an issue .

You shoot G3's ? I have its bargain basement uncle , a CETME . If I ever get the front sigh right , it will probably be a nice rifle . Recoil is moderate . Back to the ammo issue , it shoots 7.62 nato , which is some waht of an advantage , even though the military does not use it as commonly as .223 .

Course I have a 7.62 NATO Garand too . Maybe the best of both worlds . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

5. BattleRifleG3

There are lots of guns farther ahead in line than an AR...

Nothing against those CETMEs that work, but I prefer the parts interchangeability and integral scope mount of the FA-91.

6. If you don't own and shoot an AR--don't knock it.

7. BattleRifleG3

Not knocking it at all, just want others.

8. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

not knocking them, but i was never impressed with the Matty Mattel special. if i had to go to war again i would demand an M-14, or i ain't going!!!

9. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Get a Bushmaster and let it all go. There's a reason police dept's are shifting from the pistol caliber carbine to the .223. The AR is by far the best rifle I carried for my practical, on duty, applications.

.308 is too much for **** near every LEO situation. You want to snipe? .308Nato is the way to go, however there is a reason that most police countermarksmen are equipped with both .223 and .308. Time to broaden horizons.........

10. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Hey battleg3. I'm going to be in training in Ft. IndianTown Gap, PA in December. Can you tell me where in the heck that is? Harrisburg I'm told. Place called the "Northeast Counter-Drug Training Center."

11. BattleRifleG3

I'm in western PA, and have never heard of Indiantown Gap. And I agree, and have explained to people than an AR-15 is a very good rifle for law enforcement, but that others are presently better for my uses. Maybe that's because GunGeek has an AR-180, so I'm never at a loss to shoot such a rifle.

12. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Try an AR-10 if you like .308. The town I'm going to is "rumored" to be cles to Harrisburg. That's where my plane is slated to drop my butt off.

13. BattleRifleG3

I must say those are very nice rifles. The direct impingement system was designed for 308. To this day I will wonder if I would have been a happier man buying a new one for under a grand two years ago in place of my $500+ used G3 and others that I eventually bought. I wonder if I would have been so happy with it that I'd have fewer guns today, and not have been accused of having "an arms race" with a friend of mine.

14. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Put a B-Square mount on my CETME & hope to try it out today .

AR's really are fun . I have a pre-ban in A2 configeration . Also a scoped flat top upper with a 24" SS bull barrel . Like 2 guns in one . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

15. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

FT INDIANTOWN GAP..............

is the training center for the Penna National Guard, and others. perhaps a search might reveal somethings about it.

16. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Yes, that's the one. I spoke to a lady from the PA air nat'l guard when I phoned to register for the training....

17. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

I have a Rock River lower waiting on the DPMS high rise upper and Oly stainless barrel chambered in .300/.221 Fireball, aka .300 Whisper. Should be here any day now. home.satx.rr.com/dthor/
    hit button marked parts by murph. mine cost me $590 counting shipping. Custom handguard (no choice), and modified gas block. Got an Ultradot waiting on it, also. sskindustries wants $1100 for the same upper. Reload data at quarterbore, btw.
    Been thinking about an RRA upper for this lower, also.

18. guffster

guffster Guest

I've had my HK91 for about 20 years & don't shoot it that much any more, so finally broke down & got a Bushmaster ar15 last year, never cared for .223, but now I can't wait sometimes to get out & shoot the ar, it's just fun to shoot, no recoil & accurate.

19. Mike southers

Mike southers Guest

Just got my .300/.221 Fireball aka Whisper upper from dthor and partsbymurph. Kewl sh-t. Can hardly wait to get rounds loaded for subsonic and pop a few.
    Man, you'd have to redesign the whole upper to use a piston. There are long pipe cleaners (17") if you are terribly worried about the gas and fouling. Usually the inside is blown clean by the gases. The outside is where the crud builds up.