Dirty .45 cases

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by sonny2u2, May 3, 2008.

1. sonny2u2

sonny2u2 Guest

A friend of mine that was getting out of the reloading hobby sent me 1400 .45ACP cases. They are extremely tarnished, some to the point of being black. I have had them in the tumbler for over 8 hours in corn media, two hours before that in walnut, and they still are not polishing up like I want them to look. Although I've never done this before, I added some Brasso to the media, (about a tablespoon). I'm waiting to see how they do. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Brasso contains ammonia be carefull it can weaken brass.

3. sonny2u2

sonny2u2 Guest

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know it would do that. What about the stuff Midway or Dillon sells to add to your media? I've never used any of that stuff. Previously, they went from the box, to the gun, to the ground, and back to the tumbler. Never had any that were this bad looking before.

4. Those made for cleaners work. Are you sure they are brass cases. Maybe steel. They wpuld have to be laying out in the elements a long time to get that bad. If they were 45 colt cases I would say black powder but not with acp.

5. mym1a

mym1a Guest

I'm not completely sold on the fact, if there is one? that reload cases have to be that pristine ??????

6. You are correct. However I don't think I would use a total black one for fear of weakness.

7. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Try some steel wool.

8. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Guest

Lee sells a case trimmer that has a holder which fits in a drill. If you spin the case with a drill and hold a rag with brasso and/or Turtle Wax polishing compound (white stuff), you can bring the cases up to a mirror finish. However 1400 cases one at a time.... ouch!
    Ron

9. sonny2u2

sonny2u2 Guest

These cases came from Arizona and were stored under a shed roof outside:..........for how many years, I have no idea. They are all brass and many of them are once fired.

The steel wool is a good idea, but jeepers, 1400 cases.

(PS, I'm not having any luck with the brasso in the media.)

10. Just a guess.....as long as they're not corroded or pitted they should be fine. I wouldn't worry about getting the black tarnish off if they're clean and smooth to the touch.

11. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

and ya wont get it off anyway it goes into the brass.
    do not load these cases to the max and watch for splits. don't be afraid to use them though.

12. SL11

SL11 G&G Newbie

If you can clean the cases to look like brass with steel wool, then you can probably get them all back to looking like brass by first soaking them in a solution of 1/2 vinegar & 1/2 water, plus a teaspoon of salt. The dark stuff should turn pink, and the pink can be polished off with the walnut media in a tumbler.

If they CAN'T be cleaned up to look like brass with the steel wool, I personally would choose not to use them. I would expect them to split, and maybe not just at the neck.

SL1

13. sonny2u2

sonny2u2 Guest

thank you all for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. Guess I'll start rubbing them down with steel wool while I'm mindlessly watching tv. :)

I will try the vinegar and water also on a couple hundred of them to see how they do.

Any ya'll are right also about the how clean do they really need to be. I guess as long as the outside of the case is "clean" they should be good to go.

14. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Has anybody tried gently bead-blasting corroded cases with soft media and low pressure? I just picked up a bucketful of them at a public shooting dump that look like they've been there for a couple of years. My blasting cabinet is currently out of commission until I get the garage mods finished. I'm wondering if walnut hull media at low pressure would be OK.....