close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dirty word issue

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Apr 17, 2002.

1. As most have seen I refrain from using the dirtest of words although d a m n and h e l l I sometimes use.

Anyway, in another thread it was explained by the Admin. that the dirty word filter was something that came with this program and it was implied there was nothing that could be do to change that and the diry word filter is here courtesy of the program developers.

I have been recently visiting another, very, very similar site, and, in fact it's powered by vBullletin but man do they use the four letter words and some really down and dirty talk.

I sure don't want to see terrible language used by a site visited by the softer and gentler gender or by young children or young teenagers. BUT, now, I'm curious. Is it the program or not ....knowing another site uses the same program?

I bring this issue up NOT to stir crap up but I come from the old school and I have this need to know who 'tells it like it is' or has a personal agenda. In other words I sure don't want smoke blown up my butt and then be told I'm standing too near the camp fire, LOL.

PS>>>I just KNOW the ADMIN is gonna take this post wrong. I just want to know to compare to what I was told by the moderators at the other site.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2002
  2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

V-Bulletin supplies the program with the software, it is an option that must be selected by the Administrator, (it has an on/off feature), and then subsequently programmed. I hope you don't honestly think I would make such a thing up and I fail to see where this is going but here's the scoop: The program works on letters and word clusters. It cannot recognize syntax so it must be tweaked through simple computer programming language to allow normal conversation can take place. I chose to use this option because I cannot monitor this website 24/7 and when I took over this site I was determined not to have a website filled with the profanity and garbage I've seen on so many other message boards. Chip had a similar program on the old site, and I was glad to see that V-Bulletin had the same option. The program is not perfect and if a problem arises in conversation I try to fix it as quickly as I can. I never have meant to mislead anyone about this program which I referred to as the "dirty word filter". Most of my comments in PM's and e-mail to others about it were due to it's censoring of words that were not profane while I was learning the program. I am still learning this whole V-Bulletin system so bear with me. The website you visited with the V- Bulletin software may have chosen not to use this program. Hard to say, but I know I've spent many and hour working on ours. Hope this explains everything. If not PM me.

Jesse

3. Jesse

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=5503#post5503
    I believe this is the previous post on the "dirty word filter" you were mentioning. I'm sorry if it seems somewhat vague. When we first switched to V- Bulletin Chris did all the programming through Web Definity. After the last server switch I had to do all the programming myself and I was in the middle of my "learning curve" when I posted this. Hope this clears everything up.

Jesse

4. It does clear it up Jesse, and thanks.

I wrote my post late last night and was somewhat tired. I'm sorry if you might have taken it wrong....I know I wasn't too clear.

I certainly don't want a trashy site and I was NOT perporting that you allow trash talk here.

I was confused and just needed the full skitty, which you cleared up and I appreciate it.

Now, if something is said at the other site I know which direction to head him off to. In a nutshell the other site claimed it was your preference and I told him we were told it was prevented by the programming and his reply was that it wasn't so I had to know so I don't look like a COMPLETE fool. I look like a little fool all the time....don't want to be a complete fool, LOL.

Thanks again.

5. Jesse

No problem, I just want to make sure everything's understood. If you have any more questions about the site feel free to ask.

Jesse