Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
My brain needs a talking to.

Didn’t even think about a semi-auto 338 rifle. Had a bolt-action in mind.

If semi-auto, the boiler room would get pummeled.

If, however, the windshield is unprotected, I’d light that inbred up.
Why settle for only a semi auto?
338_norma_-tfb.jpg

Sig GPMG in .338 Norma Magnum.

·
Premium Member
9,773 Posts
Well, sir, THAT would definitely have a minor debilitating effect on the continuance of mechanically induced forward progress.

I concur with your reasoning.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Whst did the military use in middle east to keep from.getting car bombed?
Lots of concrete barriers.

This was the military that has access to belt fed MG's, rockets and 40mm.
Concrete costs a lot of money and it kinda defeats the purpose of having a clear view for a 1/4 mile in all directions if you are going to give them a big concrete rock to hide behind.

Then you have to move it when they start coming from another direction and do something with it when you don't need it. Those barriers are had to handle unless you have some SERIOUS equipment, not just a hobby farm tractor.

Thinking about it a little more, it STILL might be useful if you have material and time. Put together some forms to make look alikes. Everyone is going to take one look and instantly KNOW that is cover. If instead that was just thin, hollow, and had a tannerite charge in the middle of a coffee can full of nails inside it...

Even if it were just thin plywood plastered with concrete you could move them around easy to set up pre scouted and well practiced aiming points and even a 30-06 would zip right through it. I bet you would get a dozen suckers before they believed shots were going right through that "concrete" barrier.

Reactions: blaster

·
Registered
388 Posts
A 6-10 round burst of linked APIM8 and APITM20 between the first road wheel and the firewall usually does the trick if you don't have an AT4 handy. If the VBIED is coming at you head-on, then aim the burst between the headlights just above the bump and engage when its 200-300 metres out, take cover and wait for the BANG~!

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
I have to chuckle - the company i just retired from has a Transmission & Distribution division that builds power lines. Of course, those go through some pretty rough terrain and we had a few million board feet of 12 x 12 timbers that we use for temporary roads and crane mats.

My son-in-law works for a Ford dealership that has a maintenance contract with my former company. I was there one Saturday to get my oil changes and FE alignment and he says "You have GOT to see this!" Over in the last bay, they had an F250 crew cab with my company's logo, up on the lift. Skid plates were gone. The oil pan and transmission pans were torn off. the oil pickup was gone from the transmission. There were chunks of granite rip-rap jammed into all kinds of places. Some how they had driven that truck a 1/4 mile out of a mud and rock pile, up onto the gravel work pad.
Apparently, they were driving the truck over the 12x12s (think railroad ties but closer together) when they got into a muddy wet patch and slid off the temp road. They went down into a drainage full of granite chunks (rip-rap) and "blasted along" trying to get back up on the temp road. Along the way they kept hitting rocks and the corners of the 12X12's.The driver was afraid of slipping down into the bog.

(Of course he could have just stopped and they could have rigged the crane to lift it out of there but that wouldn't be any fun. All the trucks have lift-eyes at the 4 corners so they can be rigged to be lifted).
Apparently, the truck kept running until they shut it off on the gravel pad.
This was corroborated by the project super later on. (Of course, he had to explain why his crew torn up a pretty new truck)

I don't think the truck did that just because it was a Ford - probably other makes could have endured the same. But it was incredible how much damage was done and did not stop that truck right away.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,399 Posts
I have to chuckle - the company i just retired from has a Transmission & Distribution division that builds power lines. Of course, those go through some pretty rough terrain and we had a few million board feet of 12 x 12 timbers that we use for temporary roads and crane mats.

My son-in-law works for a Ford dealership that has a maintenance contract with my former company. I was there one Saturday to get my oil changes and FE alignment and he says "You have GOT to see this!" Over in the last bay, they had an F250 crew cab with my company's logo, up on the lift. Skid plates were gone. The oil pan and transmission pans were torn off. the oil pickup was gone from the transmission. There were chunks of granite rip-rap jammed into all kinds of places. Some how they had driven that truck a 1/4 mile out of a mud and rock pile, up onto the gravel work pad.
Apparently, they were driving the truck over the 12x12s (think railroad ties but closer together) when they got into a muddy wet patch and slid off the temp road. They went down into a drainage full of granite chunks (rip-rap) and "blasted along" trying to get back up on the temp road. Along the way they kept hitting rocks and the corners of the 12X12's.The driver was afraid of slipping down into the bog.

(Of course he could have just stopped and they could have rigged the crane to lift it out of there but that wouldn't be any fun. All the trucks have lift-eyes at the 4 corners so they can be rigged to be lifted).
Apparently, the truck kept running until they shut it off on the gravel pad.
This was corroborated by the project super later on. (Of course, he had to explain why his crew torn up a pretty new truck)

I don't think the truck did that just because it was a Ford - probably other makes could have endured the same. But it was incredible how much damage was done and did not stop that truck right away.
lol....good thing I didn't choose that job as a profession.

It sounds like something I MIGHT do.

"Keep your speed up and let's get the hell out of here !"

(when in doubt firewall the throttles and look for the best way out.....)

·
Registered
19,873 Posts
Another idea:

One of the earliest uses of speed bumps was at military check points. The bumps would almost be laid out in a zigzag pattern, with either a barrier or a steep dropoff on either side of the road.

If someone went too fast over the speed bumps, the sudden angle shift as the tires hit the sharp angle of a bump would basically yank the steering wheel out of their hand and send them off the road.If they somehow managed to maintain control and stay on the road on the first one, the next bump would try to yank them off in the other direction. The decision then became, drive slowly over the bumps and be in the fire zone for longer, or go careening out of control by driving too fast.

I think most militaries stopped using this because there are sometimes legitimate reasons for your own side to need to get through a checkpoint at speed.

Yet another one:

In WWI and even into WWII, the Russians would sometimes build a sort of bridge/culvert situation in the road in areas where even the best offroad vehicles were forced to cross at only that spot. A narrow gap in the very center of this road was open and a person could stand under the bridge with a shaped sticky charge on a pike. The idea was for the soldier to wait for an enemy vehicle or tank, and jam the lance right into the bottom of it. The claim was that this was survivable for the lancer, but I'm not sure it actually was.

It looks like someone would have figured out pressure plates or a wired remote or something instead, but I guess the Soviets didn't really care. The funny thing is that almost every military had some version of this lance at the time.

·
Registered
11,232 Posts
straight through the hood.
most intakes are plastic now day's, and if it's a diesel usually the turbo is right up there too.
take out a cam, get down into the block, just a big hole in the intake manifold, or behind the MAFS on the way to the throttle body will send most vehicles into a limp mode via the computer, if not an outright shutdown and a glowing wrench or engine outline on the dash board.

·
Premium Member
20,570 Posts
They make barricades similar to the heavy concrete ones you see along the highway when they are doing construction, only they are made of plastic and you fill them with water. Easily portable when empty, pretty much immovable when full. They use them on base at Selfridge ANGB.

·
Handgunner
9,175 Posts
A hosing down with gasoline/fuel oil from a high-pressure sprayer followed by a single round of 12ga Dragon's Breath might do it.

Reactions: blue fox

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Let's play a game just for 'playins' sake! I know, you should never shoot a vehicle! But lets say you bugged in with your crowd and your bug-in place is in the middle of the a field with an open quarter mile in all directions. You have all worked very hard to create your little oasis, but there are some rough people who have found out about it and made comments that they intend to take it and kill everyone in the process.

A couple of days after hearing this story, you are spending your shift in the armored crow's nest with the 338 Lapua Magnum, when all of a sudden, a Mad Max suburban comes flying out of the woods right toward your abode! Heavy steel plate covers the drivers side window so shooting the operator is not an option. Also, you are in an elevated position and the vehicle is on the ground so shooting out tires is not an option either.

WHERE DO YOU SHOOT THE VEHICLE TO STOP IT???

Please refrain for the 'You're an idiot!' comments, please. LOL
Through the windshield, right into the driver.

·
Premium Member
6,269 Posts
There is a heavy liability today when firing at a felon's car. A fatal round can cause numerous injuries to other drivers and passengers. Today it seems many high speed chases are called off by police. Targeting a criminal motorist on a crowed highway can cause needles collateral damage.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts