Disney Screwing Noted Science Fiction Author Out Of Royalties For His Writings

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyrano, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Alan Dean Foster is not one of my favorite SF authors. But he has made significant contributions to the movie world, specifically the Alien franchise and the Star Wars franchise. The Disney Corporation acquired the rights to his books in those universes when they bought 20th Century Fox Studios, among many others. But since Disney bought 20th Century Fox, they have not paid Foster any royalties on the books he's written.

This is not the first time the House of Mouse has screwed creators over. The story about how they humiliated John Lassiter and fired him, which led directly to the creation of Pixar Studios (and the end of Disney's domination of the animated feature film market) is well known. But now the Science Fiction Writers of America is taking a hand in this, and Disney needs to rethink their position. Quickly.

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...KxWUxnpE64jZmXTthHiUDSc-IoLUU4_-HDtyrmrqfgWJs

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have long despised "Da Mouse House" beginning when they came into Florida and literally destroyed our roadside arractions and local tourism industries. A lot of great old venues down the tubes. :(
    One word of warning, if you ever go to Da Mouse House, buy your gas before entering the greater Orlando area, and if possible, get your lodging away as well. Otherwise you get taken to the cleaners by skyhigh prices perpetuated by Disney.

Cyrano, jwrauch, Old_Man and 3 others like this.

3. tnmedic

tnmedic G&G Evangelist

sounds kind of crappy of disney to try and rip him off like that and blatently at that

jwrauch likes this.
  4. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Doesn't really surprise me. Since Walt, it's all about the $$.

jwrauch likes this.
  5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Foster actually is one of my favorites of his genre and era. He was good at mixing hard sci-fi with humor, and he was fantastic at adapting scripts back into something worth reading.

After my divorce I took a job at a large book retailer to make ends meet, and ended up as a manager for that company. The first month I was there, the company became the major sponsor of Birmingham's first major comic and sci-fi convention - Omega Con.

They went all out with gaming systems, panels, guests and the like.

I was sent to work the mini book store we set up at the convention. We had a table and chair there for authors to sign their books. Most of the authors who came by were newbies or locals.

At one point this older gentleman sits down and he and I had a long conversation about sci-fi, movies, our favorite writers and all sorts of things. At the end of the conversation I held out my hand and offered my name, and he did the same.

That was when my brain shut down. I told him he was one of my favorites. He asked the name of my favorite of his books, and I blanked.

I could not name one. In my panic, I grabbed his newest-not-even-released-to-the-general-public-yet book. He looked at me like I greatly disappointed him.

I had a chance to talk about Splinter of the Mind's Eye, or the Commonwealth books, or The Damned, or Spellsinger, or even Pip and Flinx...and I had nothing until after he left. The only somewhat coherent thing I said was, "Wow, they really need to update your author photo, I never would have recognized you."

Things like that tend to bug you down the road.

Anyway, super nice guy. He doesn't deserve what they are doing to him.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    TACAV and Cyrano like this.
  6. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If Eiger is still in charge I'd love to see the whole da---d mess go down the tubes.

7. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Guess he wasn't any improvement over Eisner then?

8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Iger hasn't been in charge for awhile. Robert Chapek is the Disney CEO now. He has spent his working life with the Mouse House. Before he stepped up to take the center seat, he was the schmuck in charge of running all the Disney theme parks around the world.

9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I wish Disney would just put Jon Favreau in charge of Star Wars, Marvel, and any other older IP they want to Frankenstein back into existence.

At this point he is the only director/producer that hasn't managed to completely booger up my childhood media touchstones.

Heck, even Michael Bay would be an improvement over what this latest wave of chuckelheads did to Star Wars and are currently doing to the MCU.

BigEd63 likes this.
  10. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Donald Duck may have webbed feet and never gave a :eek:? But Disney World must have dissolved into an inferno for burning our wealth? :D

11. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    New Pirates of the Caribbean ride: giphy (1).gif

Huey Rider and Jim Bridger like this.