Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i found about 24 shotgun shells in an old toolbox in my plow truck. I remember puting them back there a few years ago. They have been in about 2 inches of water for probably that long. Whats the best way to dispose of these. I only reload handgun ammo,so have no wish to salvage them.This is 12 and 20 guage ammo, birdshot, that I want to get rid of . Any proper idaes?Thanks all. Bob

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
You could make an account over on the ammobrasstrader.com forums to see if anyone wants it for reloading or maybe someone here wants 'em for components. I would imagine they'd only need new primer and new powder as long as the pellets and shells are okay.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check them out. they are plastic casings and get an exact count and if someone happens to be close by, gladly give them away. thanks for the reply Bob

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
I'd cut the plastic cases, save the shot and wad, dump the powder in the garden (good nitrogen-based fertiliser!), then bury the cases.

I've seen too many old plastic-hulled shells split when fired.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
In Mich. you can take them to the state police. sam.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
actually i would not throw them in the bonfire. i have however years ago thrown a pile of bad/old shotshells in a heavy burning barrel. you just need to stay away for a while while they cook off. they wont penetrate the barrel, but why risk it. cutting them open and using the powder for fertalizer is also a good idea.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
What, you don't have a trash can? I'd just throw 'em away.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,459 Posts
That could make for some excitement at the landfill when it goes into the crusher or the incinerator. :eek:wned2:
I prefer to make sure they won't "go bang" where they shouldn't.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
They've been sitting in 2 inches of water for several years, I'm sure they're NFG. And they wouldn't hurt the incinerator or crusher, those things are massive and there won't be any people in the danger zone. Think about the kind of stuff that goes through them every day.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
our trash here is incinerated, thats why I put the post up, to prevent possible injury. On occasion a propane tank has made it thru. Quite a bang, as I work next door to it. I will just cut open and dump the powder out. Was just lookin for other options ,if any safer ones. thanks Bob

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
If put in a fire, the plastic would melt sooner than the powder would go off. The casing would be breached and the bbs would spill out. When the powder catches, it will just be a quick flash with no effect other than a pop and a spark.

I would cut the casing, remove the pellets and throw the primer/brass piece into a fire to set it off, then into the trash (or recycler if you recycle brass).

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
is it steel? The tip at the end that holds the primer and the powder???

Same procedure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts