Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
Look at the pic real careful...see those diagonal scratches on the blade??
Also those odd scallops just above the handle?
Either you are an awful sharpener, or it was a file originally.
That's not a bad thing, either. File steel is pretty good for knives :)

The outer edge of civilization
We'll have to disagree. I knew the man who made it and it most certainly wasn't a file. I'll get a better picture in morning. @Cyrano knew the maker as well and has seen the knife.

As for the scratches, those are from use and sadly a bit of abuse.

Registered
file steel was the bomb back in the day.
I don't think you could possibly find a better material for a blade until about 1995 or so.

I made one and finished a partially started blade made from pre ww-2 files that would hold an edge you'd have to see to believe.
both of them were stolen, but you could cut through a 1/2" rope in one swipe with either one.

Resident Curmudgeon
When Her Imperial Majesty and I were setting up our wedding, the Justice of the Peace who presided asked for a Shadowmaker as his fee. Shadow had a few in inventory that were not spoken for by anyone, and because he was a friend of mine, as a favor sold me one of them at a price I could afford. He died shortly after we were married, before I could commission him to make one for me, which I intended to make up for the loss he had to have taken on the one he sold me.

If you want to get an idea of how sturdy Shadow's blades were: His personal long knife or shortsword was named Stonebreaker. It got its name by Shadow's splitting a granite stone the size of a softball in half with a single stroke with it. The blade took no damage. He was the first bladesmith I personally knew who routinely worked in damascus steel. As a mark of the esteem in which he held me, he polished a rehafted tulwar blade that was upwards of 400 years old to a mirror finish and didn't ask for a cent even in materials. He felt that I deserved a "proper blade."

Like many in the Band of Fellers, he was a military veteran and a combat veteran (101st Air Assault in Vietnam); and again like the vets in the Band of Fellers, regarded me as a veteran too because of my service in the Merchant Marine. I was the only person at the Pennsic War who had not served in the armed forces who was welcome in Shadow's encampment when he threw a dinner for veterans. You may rest assured I felt humbly honored to be included.

I miss him still. He was one helluva man, and a true master in the art of producing edged weapons.

Registered
A couple of my favorites.
Camillus and a Western. Yep I like carbon View attachment 125324

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app
I have 2 camilus knives. One sharpened great, other is a Pain in my *** to sharpen i dont know why.

I also have a Shrade Walden hunter Bowie

But if i had 1 blade i may pick either the Versafix Gerber with 9" blade overall 14.3"
Or a Buck Selkirk Survival knife. Though
Alaska Guid gear knives are good choices..

Since 03-15- 2002
I have 2 camilus knives. One sharpened great, other is a Pain in my *** to sharpen i dont know why.

I also have a Shrade Walden hunter Bowie

But if i had 1 blade i may pick either the Versafix Gerber with 9" blade overall 14.3"
Or a Buck Selkirk Survival knife. Though
Alaska Guid gear knives are good choices..
I had to have a professional put an initial edge on mine. Once it had the correctly applied angle, it was easy to maintain. I鈥檓 just okay with working a blade. Patience issues.

Registered
Yes, we can buy some great factory knives now days. Some leading companies employ custom knife makers for their designs and their requirements have to agree 100% with the custom maker. I am a part time semi retired custom maker, have been making knives for many years. Knives built two buildings behind my house and filled them up with equipment and supplies. Knives also put beans on the table.

An online search for John Andrews knives will show a few of my knives.

And I own several knives you fellas do, gifts from family.

I prefer fixed blade knives, hunters. I built one lock blade into the handle of a large fixed blade knife and that cured me of building folders. It is an ugly knife as for my likes but the client wanted it.

We are all blessed with better knife making materials now days.

Registered
I had to have a professional put an initial edge on mine. Once it had the correctly applied angle, it was easy to maintain. I鈥檓 just okay with working a blade. Patience issues.

I had a fella bring a knife to me with the same problem. It was a gift from his ex-son in law. The fella thought the knife was worthless. I reground the blade and it turned out to be a very good knife. I think it was made of ATS34. The owner, Porky Beach, asked what he owed me and I told him nothing. He then ordered two fixed blade hunting knives. :)

Registered
Cant recall where i seen a sharpener place near me. But thanks I'll look into it. I am decent at sharpening i do my Axe, and other knives

Reactions: neophyte

Premium Member

Registered
For folks that don't want to spend a lot of time to get a decent edge on a knife, the foolproof Edgemaker Pro is a very good solution. I don't sell them but have used them for a lot of years. I have also sent them to a number of my repeat customers.

Get the orange handled one with the two carbide Xs. One X is course, the other X is fine grade.

Premium Member
I had a great little fixed blade, a Ka-Bar Eagle, I took it with me to Iraq. It had the ideal length blade for carrying, I was going to change out the scales with some G10 stock and shape them to my own hand, but I can't find the stupid thing to save my life.
I suppose I'll find it along with numerous other blades and pistol magazines someday when I move out of this house.

Premium Member
Look at the pic real careful...see those diagonal scratches on the blade??
Also those odd scallops just above the handle?
Either you are an awful sharpener, or it was a file originally.
That's not a bad thing, either. File steel is pretty good for knives :)
While in the Rocky Mtn. back country we often had to "Make do". Sharping a knife on chuck of sand stone was not pretty but it worked.:)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts