41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
966 Posts
That Camillus i had a hard time sharpening. Im starting to get an edge. Ive used the Lansky -
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lansky-Quadsharp-Sharpener-QSHARP/302739238

I may use my stones later but the Lansky is helping start the edge.. ill try to post my knife later. Ive had that camillus since 03 or 04, its a Nice knife to have, ive used it when camping, hiking, and around the house. Good feel.
I'll get that one and my sharade walden later and share a pic here

·
Registered
309 Posts
That Camillus i had a hard time sharpening. Im starting to get an edge. Ive used the Lansky -
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lansky-Quadsharp-Sharpener-QSHARP/302739238

I may use my stones later but the Lansky is helping start the edge.. ill try to post my knife later. Ive had that camillus since 03 or 04, its a Nice knife to have, ive used it when camping, hiking, and around the house. Good feel.
I'll get that one and my sharade walden later and share a pic here
One of your wise choices of your knives is the "good feel". Too many knives have handles that don't fit one's hand. A too short of a handle often slips and leads to injury.

Some handles are far too long to make sense and tends to make the knife awkward when doing complicated chores.

And also, many use a knife blade much too long. I have seen folks being very awkward when using Bowie knives for chores meant for a shorter blade.

Don't buy a knife with finger grooves on the handle. We often use the knife with the sharp edge up and the finger grooves are not hand friendly in the palm in your hand.

One more, don't buy a gut hook ground into the blade if you plan on using the knife for other chores. The gut hook often hangs up while doing other chores and can be unsafe. I have always refused to grind a gut hook into a general use hunting knife.

I suggest avoiding an antler handled knife as for hunting chores. They look nice and the antler should more than last your lifetime but the handle will more likely become very slippery with blood and gut slime, especially during cold weather.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I restored three WW2 bayonets a Captain of mine owned. His uncle was in during WW2 and brought them back from the South Pacific theater. The leather washers of the handles were rotted and there was some rust but I restored them with new leather washer handles and cleaned up and blued the rest of the parts to prevent more rust.

Funny thing was, all three of the pommels had different retainers and were tricky to remove without damage. If any of you folks do some of this work, removing the pommels is tricky without doing damage.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
We haven't had any good knife discussions lately. I'm going to give you some parameters and let you provide your fave.

This has to be a fixed blade
You only get one knife (but you can still have your EDC pocket knife)
Approximately 5" blade length (I'll give you an inch either way to play with)

My pick is the Becker BK2 by Ka Bar. I love this knife and despite those who take the black coating off, I like mine with it.

Buck Nighthawk.

Reactions: neophyte
41 - 47 of 47 Posts