Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I think NYPD uses Speer Gold Dot, Some departments uses Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, or Hornady Critical Duty .

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
two retired ones i know both used the winchester HP stuff.
they keep trying to talk me out of using gold-dot's in my 9mm, but [shrug] ain'tgonnahappen.
in my 45 i actually use a very simple 225gr flat point cast bullet.

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Most dept issue that I know of is some type of Hydrashok hollow point. We were issued them in 40 cal in my last dept and I carried them in 45 acp before that. I still carry hollowpoints in my LCP

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
The bigger question is what are you going to use in your carry firearm? For 9mm I use 124gr XTP or similar, 40 S&W is 180gr XTP or equivalent, and for my 45 it's 230gr XTP or equivalent. I am not adverse to using the Hornady Action Pistol HP bullets as well. I practice with bullets of the same wieght and very close +- 50 FPS velocities to Critical Duty ammo when I reload.
Today I will be cleaning my XDs and SAR9T after visiting my Son - he has a nice range set-up with 1/2" thick AR500 steel targets 8", 10", 12"x20". They ping so nice when you hit them.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
We started out with the standard 9BP Federal (115 gr JHP std velocity) round in 1988 when we went to the '9' but went to the (worthless) Win 147 gr JHP recommended by the FBI (Fumbling Bumbling Idiots) for several years and horrible results at 'stopping the fight'!!! BUT we then went with the 127 gr +p+ Win (the lower end of 357 Mag ballistics, actually cgraph showed 1285 fps from three different gun) and have had VERY good results at stopping the 'bandits'!!!

·
Registered
22,716 Posts
I would love to do research on the most popular rounds, not only in era, but also in region.

In the '40's and 50's my great grandfather was a police chief in Illinois, and swore by 38 SPL lead wadcutters.

A lot of ex-cops in this area kept revolvers in 38 S&W as backup guns up through the '70s, and at least one county here in Alabama (Marshal County) issued duty revolvers in 38 S&W to their deputies in the '50s. I don't know for sure, but I suspect Lend/Lease surplus from Britain was cheap since the two examples that I have had through the store with Marshal County provenance were an Enfield and a Victory model.

In north Alabama, during prohibition, a lot of cops in rural boot-legging areas carried 32-20, supposedly because it was the only handgun round that would shoot through a Ford window.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
When I went through the police academy in Marion, oh, they used remanufactured ammo by a company that the first letter was G, I can't remember the name of it. They practiced with FMJ ammo, and used JHP's as duty ammo made by the same company. That was back in1998, they may have changed since then.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Our local cops used 40 S&W as far as I know. I'd go to the local range and see where they were training with silhouettes ( too embarrassing to watch live most of them couldn't hit a bull on the arse with a banjo ) and pick the shells up. I found they fit perfectly over a tire valve cap. Everytime I got new tires they'd be gone, new valve caps fitted.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
As far back as 1996 I was issued the Remington Classic which was a 115 grain standard pressure load. I was a state park ranger at that time. It is a good round even still.

I have a dozen premium brands at my house because I try everything. But I would go to war with those anytime. Low recoil, easy to get follow up shots etc. When I carriedca357 I knew I might need a follow up round, we shot double taps, When we transitioned to the 9 mm, they had us do, triple taps, and made us practice more reloads. Now we know why.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I never carried a 9mm when I was a police officer in North Central Illinois. I had two S&W .45 duty guns (645 and 4505), loaded with .45 Black Talons.
The black talon is the same as those 9mm bullets that Biden says explodes inside the lungs. They are designed to shoot people in the lungs..

Remember when the Dems tried to ban the "Black Talon". Winchester caved and cancelled. Then they took the black moly coating off the bucket and sold them as the Ranger

Liquid Cosmetics Material property Automotive lighting Lipstick
Natural material Metal Fashion accessory Foot Wood

Old technology....

” A surgeon in Houston said Black Talon “explode inside a person like a thousand razor blades.” The media called it exotic and “designed to do greater damage than ordinary ammunition.” Many politicians called for an outright ban on Black Talon ammunition. Even a family member of a victim from the New York shooting attempted to sue Olin Corporation for the manufacture, sale and marketing of Winchester’s Black Talon ammo.

Winchester repackaged and renamed the round throughout the years. Introduced in 2007, the Ranger T Series is still available for purchase today. The Ranger SXT is the same bullet without the Lubalox coating. Some say that SXT stands for the “same exact thing. "''

And here is the replacement.

"''Winchester Ranger ammunition is loaded to pressure levels that are on the high end. The Ranger 230-grain SXT .45 ACP load leaves Winchester's five-inch test barrel doing 985 fps, while developing an impressive 495 ft-lbs of muzzle "''

New technology
Font Line Material property Asphalt Bumper
Font Gas Soil Signage Advertising

” A surgeon in Houston said Black Talon “explode inside a person like a thousand razor blades.” The media called it exotic and “designed to do greater damage than ordinary ammunition.” Many politicians called for an outright ban on Black Talon ammunition. Even a family member of a victim from the New York shooting attempted to sue Olin Corporation for the manufacture, sale and marketing of Winchester’s Black Talon ammo.

Winchester repackaged and renamed the round throughout the years. Introduced in 2007, the Ranger T Series is still available for purchase today. The Ranger SXT is the same bullet without the Lubalox coating. Some say that SXT stands for the “same exact thing. "''

And here is the replacement.

"''Winchester Ranger ammunition is loaded to pressure levels that are on the high end. The Ranger 230-grain SXT .45 ACP load leaves Winchester's five-inch test barrel doing 985 fps, while developing an impressive 495 ft-lbs of muzzle "''

So officer, how much deadly force did you actually need? Couldn't you just shoot him extra times if your first few rounds did not stop him from shooting all those kids?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts